ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My pop/imap Android experience

<< < (6/7) > >>

superboyac:
ok, so the problem is idiot gmail again.

If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?

Vurbal:
I don't really even care if the GMail app has all the features I want or need because Android's sync model makes it a non-starter for me. Until getting my new tablet I hadn't used Android (or any mobile OS) for a couple years but I'm sure my old phone (running 2.2.2 or 2.2.3) gave me a lot more granular control over sync operations. On my Samsung tablet (running 4.2.2) the only options are to either sync everything related to my Google account or nothing. Naturally I choose nothing.-Vurbal (February 26, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like something Samsung has customized the OS with. The "vanilla" Android experience offers you plenty of customization about what to sync or not. Here's a small sample of a few of the choices on my Android device (found in Settings -> Accounts -> Google):
 (see attachment in previous post)
I'd only use vanilla Android or a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. All the other providers muck up the OS with awful customizations that ruin the experience.
-Deozaan (February 28, 2014, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wondered if that wasn't the case. Unfortunately I didn't have any non-Samsung devices to check it against. The only Sync settings I can find (so maybe they've just hidden them) are for accounts rather than apps. Your screenshot is exactly what I was expecting to see.

Yet another reason I prefer to start with Vanilla Android, untainted by an OEM interface like TouchWiz.

Vurbal:

If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?
-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. My Gmail has never done that to the best of my recollection. I wonder if there's an option I toggled so long ago that I can't remember doing it.

superboyac:

-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. My Gmail has never done that to the best of my recollection. I wonder if there's an option I toggled so long ago that I can't remember doing it.
-Vurbal (March 05, 2014, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

This whole 21st century obsession with over-simplifying everything is so extreme to me.  I hate it, but I understand it.  Lots of checkboxes and options that we geeks like is nice for us, but intimidating to others.  So now everything is way too oversimplified and want everything done with one button.  But the problem is that all this technology requires rather complex input from the end user, there's no way around it.  So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.

Stoic Joker:
So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only if the button is green and has the words "Don't Panic" next to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version