topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can LBC be transformed into a task bar  (Read 10110 times)

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can LBC be transformed into a task bar
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I'm wanting to remove the windows taskbar all together and was wondering if it's possible to have a dock in lbc where open windows would sit like the taskbar ?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can LBC be transformed into a task bar
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53 AM »
The short version is yes. The videos linked in this post would be a good starting point. My setup is quite a bit different now but the concept is mostly the same:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18759.msg339703#msg339703

The somewhat longer version is the one thing I can't do with LBC yet that would allow me to totally eliminate using the taskbar is bringing up a list of open windows. Or actually it's not that I can't do it from LBC - 7+ Taskbar Tweaker has an option to do just that. The problem is I want to do it from a launchbar button rather than accessing the tray icon (which I can do from LBC) first.

One of these days I should contact the author of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to see if he can add something (a hotkey maybe) to do that.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:03 AM »
The main job of a task bar is to show entries for running programs -- LBC won't do that.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19 AM »
No it won't, but 7+ Taskbar Tweaker's Task Inspector combined the Tray Popup program from Total Taskbar Controller is almost close enough to be a replacement for me. At the end of the day I decided it was a little too kludgy, but if I could bring it up directly via a single LBC button that would probably be close enough for me.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:37 PM »
thanks guys. I'll check out those videos for sure. right now I have two docks  one is one icon that pulls up the contents of my start menu. it's hidden at the top of my screen and another dock on my right side set to slide out with my mainly used programs.  I also minimize it to my systray while playing games in full screen.

as it is now I could probably get rid of the taskbar and just alt tab between open windows.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:41 PM »
my advice (to everyone) would be to not mess with such core functions as the main windows taskbar.  if you are running out of space on screen, buy a new monitor.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I don't know that I'd characterize the taskbar as a core Windows component. It's definitely a core part of the default UI but from the system's point of view it isn't particularly important except for sending certain messages to the user. I'm not suggesting it's something anyone should do without good reason or forethought. Before I even started experimenting with my customizations I backed up my system and then made a restore point. That was after using a couple different docks that kept it hidden at all times.

In any case a second monitor wouldn't have addressed the various problems I was looking to solve. I wanted the taskbar at the top of the desktop for ergonomic reasons but needed to use autohide to avoid accidental mouseovers on running programs. Hiding it wasn't much good if I was regularly triggering it by accident so I also needed a delay. Since I didn't need the Start button but routinely fill up the taskbar to the point items get combined, it was pretty much a no-brainer to reclaim that extra little bit of room.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:17 PM »
I've came to a happy balance for myself.
I have a doc at top and one to the right(hidden). I have the taskbar hidden(i can access it when I need it)

I'll try to find a good systray program and I should be set. but I have a problem
the text in the dropdown list is too big. It's using the same font and size that I set for the dock itself. What I'm after is to have the list of programs in a small font, but changing the font  does nothing unless I change the dock font too.

heres a screenshot:
Screeny

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Hmm that's interesting -- you can overide image sizes and other stuff in the "Node overides" tab of the menu, but you can't override the font size.
Does seem like it might be a nice idea though.. Let me put it on my todo list and see if i can implement it easily.
At the very least it seems like i should be able to provide a way to specify two fonts(+sizes), one for root level of dock bar and one for the submenu items, etc.

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24 PM »
awesome! thanks

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 01:24 PM »
There actually is an option to set different fonts for the main dock and menu items already but it would be a lot better if you could set a per-node override. It would be particularly helpful for my main dock captions so I could adjust the longer ones to fit more easily.

It would also be nice for dealing with menus set to display as root level items. Since they're still menus, they use the Menu Font setting rather than the Dock Font. That's understandable, but also problematic if you want to use a different font for regular menus.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I've came to a happy balance for myself.
I have a doc at top and one to the right(hidden). I have the taskbar hidden(i can access it when I need it)

I'll try to find a good systray program and I should be set.

I use the ShowTray docklet from Total Taskbar Controller. It's not perfect. It will only show you the hidden tray items and the popup doesn't necessarily appear above the dock node. It's the best solution I've found so far though.

ShowTray.png
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I'll try to find a good systray program and I should be set.

I use PS Tray Factory.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Just FYI for those who have been putting off upgrading to Windows 7, Windows 7 has a good built-in tool for this.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Just FYI for those who have been putting off upgrading to Windows 7, Windows 7 has a good built-in tool for this.

Good, but not great.  ;)

The built-in tool doesn't allow you to set a custom order, use custom icons, or send any app to the tray...which is why I am still using PS Tray Factory on Win7.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:16 AM »
At the very least it seems like i should be able to provide a way to specify two fonts(+sizes), one for root level of dock bar and one for the submenu items, etc.

I went to go implement this but found it already exists:
Screenshot - 4_16_2014 , 9_15_02 AM.png