ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Against TED talks

<< < (9/14) > >>

wraith808:
I think with TED, there's the best of intent on some levels.

... but I think that there's a quote that talks about that from someone much more sage than I.

"L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs"
-  Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

tomos:
"L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs"[/i]
-  Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
-wraith808 (March 17, 2014, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

had to look that one up...

Against TED talks

doesnt seem to be a literal translation, but I get the idea ;-)

Target:
so all this boils down to guilt by association?

TED is guilty because some of it's sponsors have questionable ethics or morals

Speakers (who are in fact guests) are guilty because they participate in a forum?

seems like it mightn't bode well for any of us :-\

wraith808:
I don't think it's towards the speakers if I'm reading right. It's towards the aims of TED as an organization.  And Ren's not the only one to question on that front.  It's quite valid in the case of these things to question the motives of the organizer.

A friend organized several user groups in several different locations- he'd get them going, and then turn them over.  Was it just for the good of the area?  No- it was because his one payment for doing so was that he was able to always get right of first refusal to introduce a speaker.  So in the end, it was to raise his capital.  Not a bad thing- but definitely an ulterior motive.

Is the organization sponsoring these talks out of a philanthropic gesture?  Or is there something else behind it?

That's a valid question to ask- especially as any organization gets actual power...

Target:
so TED does something other than facilitate public forums on random topics?

then there's a certain irony in the latest (?) presentation

Daniel Reisel studies the brains of criminal psychopaths (and mice). And he asks a big question: Instead of warehousing these criminals, shouldn’t we be using what we know about the brain to help them rehabilitate? Put another way: If the brain can grow new neural pathways after an injury … could we help the brain re-grow morality?
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version