ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Quality of Captured Image

(1/4) > >>

LiDale:
I use SC each and every day. Thanks so much for the support with this fantastic product. I am probably ok, but just one question. I use SC to save text and images sent to me from my family. Most of the time it is captured from an email and from time to time it is captured from a web site. I understand the quality of the captured image relies on the quality of the image I am attempting to capture. I take each captured image and post it, along with family comments, in a blog type site. Sometimes for printing and sometimes just for reading for all other family members. I basically use SC with most all default settings and it does a great job. I just want to insure I have the 'settings' correct to give me the best possible color and resolution of the captured images and/or text.

Sorry for rambling, my question is "what settings / options should I have SC set to insure the output image (jpg, pdf and png) is the highest color and resolution possible."

Thanks in advance for your time.

tomos:
Hi LiDale,
I think png is the default filetype - this is the best quality for screenshots anyway. Avoid jpg completely here (files are smaller but quality is worse).

You mention PDF - are you using PDF anyway? - or are you asking if it's better quality than the others? If the latter, again, I'd say just stick with the png filetype.

Here's my settings -

The dpi and colour are default - no need to change them (dpi may vary according to your monitor).

mouser:
What tomos said.  As long as you save in PNG format (which SC uses by default) your images will be 100% perfect, exactly what you see on screen.
It's only when you save in a "lossy" format like jpg that files can degrade in quality from the original.

Jibz:
If the size of the image file matters, it can be a good idea to use one of the many png optimizers available. Here is an example to illustrate this:

Saved as 24 bpp png from SSC, 240k:

Optimized version, 149k:

Saved as 8 bpp png from SSC, 72k:

Optimized version (note that it also has better colors), 32k:

tomos:
^ I'm pretty confused there Jibz :-[

* 1) I dont see any option to change bpp in Screenshot Captor(?)
* 2) I presume the default in SC is 24bpp?
* 3) all screenshots say 24bpp in the statusbar, yet you label #3 as 8bpp
* 4) what are the k numbers - I know k is a thousand ;-) but is it number of pixels? (240k etc)
* 5) is the idea that the optimisier reduces the image size, but keeps the quality?
Or is it simply to improve quality of lower quality images (#3 =>#4 above)?
I dont see any difference between images #1 & #2...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version