ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Book Tracking

<< < (2/2)

nickodemos:
Zotero is nice for tracking information I need to keep track of for writing papers but not what is needed for book tracking.

DataCrow has improved greatly since I first tried it many years ago. Playing with it just now I remember the heavy demand that it has on java usage. Runs very slow on my computer and I can imagine only will get worse as the DB builds.

Color me an idiot for thinking about one of mouser's program while writing about Skwire's epCheck.

I'll post in coding snacks and see what bites.

40hz:
The only real challenge is having an app to grab book data and artwork from Amazon (or other sources) via an API. Once that data is pulled over and put in a tab-delimited file, it can be easily imported into almost anything.

If it's just a locally hosted Windows-native tracking database that's wanted, there's easily a half dozen DBMS apps (i.e. Access, et al) that will let you set one up very easily.

Vurbal:
When I was looking for Windows ebook readers some weeks back it occurred to me that even for ebook management it would be generally preferable if the search and cataloging functionality came from a standalone component.

That's obviously not the same thing we're talking about here. However it seems likely using something like the Calibre through an API would at least be a logical jumping off point if you wanted to develop what nickodemos described. That's assuming something suitable doesn't already exist, but I don't imagine it does.

nickodemos:
The only real challenge is having an app to grab book data and artwork from Amazon (or other sources) via an API. Once that data is pulled over and put in a tab-delimited file, it can be easily imported into almost anything.

If it's just a locally hosted Windows-native tracking database that's wanted, there's easily a half dozen DBMS apps (i.e. Access, et al) that will let you set one up very easily.
-40hz (February 25, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Essentially yes. But it would be nice if the front end was more than just a data retriever. It would be nice if possible that one could easily flip between title/authors name/series name/maybe even year.

I am doing an all-niter on a lab nurse exam and a lecture tomorrow so will try to give a dummy upped version of an interface later this week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version