ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows moving around after monitors wake up

(1/8) > >>

mouser:
I am having a problem on my Win7 machine that I never had on my XP machine.

I have 4 monitors.   Overnight the monitors (not the computer) go to sleep.

When they wake up, some of the windows that were open on the desktop jump/move around to different monitors and resize.

It's really quite annoying.

Windows 7, Nvidia modern graphics cards with up to date drivers.

Any ideas how I might stop this from happening? Short of turning off the monitor sleep power options?

Ath:
How are the monitors connected to the computer? HDMI, DP, DVI, VGA?

mouser:
all dvi, except one displayport.

Ath:
Well, with modern display-drivers and screens, it seems the entire display is inhibited when in standby/off, and Windows shakes/resizes all it's visible windows to the last, or the primary, awake monitor it still sees. And also resets the other virtual screens to something like 640x480 pixels.
I see this behavior on my dual-DP setup, where I leave the (work) computer running overnight, but turn off the screens to preserve some power. Any window I leave open is moved and resized to the left-upper 640x480 of my primary monitor :(
My current solution is to close all (well, almost all) applications, auto-saving their last window-positions and sizes, and re-opening them the next morning. Exceptions here are Outlook, that I minimize to the tray by default, and other trayed apps like SSC, that aren't affected, unless I forget to minimize them.

Haven't found a solution, other than to minimize all windows to the system-tray, to avoid this behavior. But, I haven't yet done a thorough search for this either :-[

skwire:
FWIW, I run dual monitors and I DON'T experience this behaviour.  W7/64

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version