ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

20th Annual International Deming Research Seminar - March 3-4, 2014 (NY, USA).

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
Thought I'd post this in case anyone on the forum might be interested and able to take advantage of the opportunity to learn more about what people may have done using Deming's suggestions for "transformation" of business. A pity they only hold these seminars in the US. I've never attended one yet, but I'd still love to go. I see they are going to touch on operations research too.
One of the most useful and life-changing experiences for me was attending one of Deming's 4-day seminars. He said that what he was telling us about was actually very simple, but that it seemed hard to understand as a lot of it seemed to go against conventional wisdom - what we had been taught or indoctrinated with - and so was difficult to accept/internalise. He was right.
When I finally got to understanding what he was on about, I started to employ his approach and methods in my business as an IT and management consultant, and it led to assignments that were successfully completed, made me a lot of money, got repeat business (assignments), and got me a reputation for being something of a business process wizard - when in fact, all I had been doing was correctly applying tested theory and good/"best" practice, and Deming's approach and methods.

Read more about it at the link.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
20th Annual International Deming Research Seminar
March 3-4, 2014 : New York, NY USA

The Deming Institute is a proud Co-Sponsor of this exchange of knowledge

Experts in healthcare and education, as well as practitioners in government, manufacturing, and service industries will reveal their findings for the first time in two days of presentations, exchanges, and roundtables with other academics and practitioners who gather from around the world to share their ideas and explore Dr. W. Edwards Deming’s theory of management in a wide-ranging context. The forum is The 20th Annual International Deming Research Seminar, March 3-4 in New York City.

Be among the first to learn of a new direction in management and operations research.

Hear the latest ideas on use of incentives, sustaining company success, performance management systems, enhancing commerce, teams, appraisals, measurement systems, fear, trust, ethics, and leadership.

Student Discount (Student ID Required) is available through The Deming Cooperative.

No refunds within 10 days of the event, 50% refund 11 - 30 days prior to event. Substitutions always welcome.
Event Pricing:    Regular: $395

--- End quote ---

tomos:
Just got a summary on Wkikpedia -
(Deming circle / PDCA)

IainB:
(Deming circle / PDCA)
-tomos (February 20, 2014, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you might find that that is not "a summary of Deming" or of anything much, but rather just a description of "the PDCA/PDSA cycle" (aka "the  Shewhart cycle").
Take care. The Wikipedia article you linked to seems to rapidly wander off into BS territory with the OPDCA and "Lean [insert word here]", where you'd probably need thigh-length gumboots to wade through all the management consulting BS.
I'd be very surprised if you found any of that at the seminar.

tomos:
(Deming circle / PDCA)
-tomos (February 20, 2014, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you might find that that is not "a summary of Deming" or of anything much, but rather just a description of "the PDCA/PDSA cycle" (aka "the  Shewhart cycle").
Take care. The Wikipedia article you linked to seems to rapidly wander off into BS territory with the OPDCA and "Lean [insert word here]", where you'd probably need thigh-length gumboots to wade through all the management consulting BS.
I'd be very surprised if you found any of that at the seminar.
-IainB (February 20, 2014, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D
any more reputable summaries out there?

IainB:
I don't know of any summaries about Deming's work that might help one to learn much about it. His book "Out of the Crisis" is probably recommended reading, and also the experiment with the red and white beads is very important.
Maybe it was just me, but I found him quite hard going. Even though I attended one of his 4-day seminars, it was really only on the morning of the last day that the penny began to drop. I nearly missed it. Up until that point I had almost completely misunderstood what he had been on about - though, in my arrogance, I had thought I understood.  After the epiphany hit me, I felt somewhat ashamed of my previously ignorant state.
He had pre-warned us that it was simple, but seemed hard to understand. He said he'd spent a great deal of his working life trying to simplify the complexity of what Shewhart had taught.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version