ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Processing Delays!?

(1/2) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

A few times I have noticed that certain apps pause while doing something, while Task Manager "swears nothing is going on".

Does anyone know of a tool that covers this?

Just now I loaded a couple of programs and got stalled, but Task Manager was indicating cpu activity near 10% or less etc.

I'm on XP, it happens at work on Vista too.

How can a program delay and Task Manager not know about it?!

mouser:
This drives me bonkers.  It started happening on an XP install of mine and I could never find a way to identify what was causing it or to fix it.

I think the fact that it doesn't show up in the Task Manager cpu suggested that it is a low level system driver of some sort.

However, I strongly suspected it was caused by ESet antivirus/firewall -- the fact that it was happening always during disk access was one clue.

TaoPhoenix:
This drives me bonkers.  It started happening on an XP install of mine and I could never find a way to identify what was causing it or to fix it.

I think the fact that it doesn't show up in the Task Manager cpu suggested that it is a low level system driver of some sort.

However, I strongly suspected it was caused by ESet antivirus/firewall  the fact that it was happening always during disk access was one clue.

-mouser (February 18, 2014, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't *think* I have Eset active (what even is that? It sounds vaguely familiar to something I thought I nuked a while back) - but it's popped up a few times. How can a stall not be processed by Task Manager?! ( I might have screwed up these quotes.)

verszipo:
The problem is that if it's a drive access that causes the delay then the process itself is not using the CPU, so TaskManager won't show it.
You could try with an alternate task manager that shows disk activity too (i believe Process Explorer and Process Hacker both can show the disk activity, it is probably called "I/O activity", "I/O Delta Writes/Reads" or something similar).

In Win7 and Win8 there's a column in the builtin Taskmanager that shows disk activity too, not just CPU activity, don't remember if XP/Vista had the ability to show that data.

Shades:
In both Process Explorer an Process Hacker, keep an eye out for the entry called 'Interrupts'.

This value should always be as low as possible, preferably not exceeding 1 to 2% even when doing a lot of reading/writing to disk. Because if it does, it is the first precursor of your drive failing. This is closely related for making Windows 'pause' without apparent reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version