ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

<< < (12/15) > >>

Vurbal:
IMO Windows needs a total ground up redesign, not unlike what Apple did with OS X.
-Vurbal (March 20, 2014, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't trust Microsoft to do it well.
-wraith808 (March 20, 2014, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I certainly don't trust their management to do it well. That's potentially an argument for why it might be better if Microsoft continues to bet on the past and wait for somebody else to take over and do things right after they drive themselves into the ground.

wraith808:
Oh totally... I'm not saying that there aren't good people at MS.  And I think getting rid of the stack ranking was one of the things that showed that.  But... it's too top heavy in the end, when it comes to development.  At least it seems that way from the outside looking in.  And shite, not cream, rises to the top in those particular scenarios.

40hz:
The single biggest barrier to redesigning Windows isn't a techncal issue. From my experience working for a Fortune 5 (not 500), the real problem is that any major change of direction in any large corporation will require that somebody (or some cabal) very high up in the hierarchy be called conclusively wrong.

In an era of stock analysts and personality cults in corporate governance that's about as likely to happen as the Catholic Church (my religious background so put down the torches please) renouncing the Doctrine of Infallibility. As in: "that is so NOT gonna happen," as the 7-year old daughter of one of my clients once put it.

To change direction and redo Windows is to admit the current paradigm (and all the silly arguments previously made for it) were wrong.

That doesn't slot well with Wall Street, because they've previously hailed the chief as "a genius" in public.

That doesn't slot well with the alpha-type personalities at the helms of most tech firms either. Because it calls into question just what it is that they (or any human being for that matter) brings to the party that they're worth "billions and billions" to parrot Carl Sagan. These are not the type of persons who want to admit a good portion of their success was far more due to being in the right place at the right time than it ever was to their intellectual brilliance, personal courage, ot their uncanny ability to see the future and make it real. These are gods we're talking about. And gods only exist as long as somebody still believes in them. (Watch the movie August for a great treatment of that topic.)

Nope, I've said it before and I'll say it again (with thanks to Gerry Weinberg). It's not a technical problem - it's a people problem. And any time it clearly isn't a people problem - you'd better look harder and again.

8)

Vurbal:
Nothing personal but I'd be a lot happier if I thought there was a chance  you guys were wrong. There really isn't though.

40hz:
Nothing personal but I'd be a lot happier if I thought there was a chance  you guys were wrong. There really isn't though.
-Vurbal (March 20, 2014, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

D'accord! I'm sure we'd be happier too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version