ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

<< < (9/15) > >>

40hz:
...that said, after using iOS, it does still feel in its nacency to me.
-wraith808 (March 18, 2014, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. A tablet computing experience is what it is. And I personally don't think it's quite there yet. It still feels like there's something minor but important to the user experience that's still missing from all these devices. Sorta like a mouse before they put a scroll wheel on it.

But...that said...having spent several hours in both the Apple and the Microsoft stores putting the iPad and Surface through their paces, Apple wins hands-down on every front. It's just a more mature and polished product. Probably to be expected since it costs about 2-3 times as much as a "comparable" Surface tablet.

As far as RT goes, Microsoft's Exec-VP Julie Larson-Green had this to say when asked:

"We have the Windows Phone OS. We have Windows RT and we have full Windows. We're not going to have three. We do think there's a world where there is a more mobile operating system that doesn't have the risks to battery life, or the risks to security. But, it also comes at the cost of flexibility. So we believe in that vision and that direction and we're continuing down that path."
--- End quote ---

Since Windows 8 and the Windows Phone are a go, that third named OS, lowly little Windows RT, seems to be on it's way out. Especially considering Microsoft is the only player still selling it now that Dell and all the other manufacturers have officially discontinued their RT product lines.

I can't help but think Windows-RT will eventually go the way of Windows CE (now CE was one cool and fast little OS!) and Surface the way of Zune.

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

kilele:
A bit off-topic but anyway related with the change of user interface. I've bought an android tablet 7'' in size recently and I wanted to share my initial impressions.
- The main problem is that if you don't put it on a table you are limited to work with just your thumbs, I'd like that you could manage the virtual keyboard from behind being the rear part of the tablet tactile as well if you held it with your hands, this way all fingers would be available and a tablet could be far more comfortable for gaming and working on train or when you sit on an armchair.
- Default keyboard is not qwerty with arrows, it'd be nice to have something like the physical ones.
Keyboard should  be semitransparent with a key magnified as soon as the user puts a finger over it, translucent to avoid covering the sight of what you are editing. Another important thing that is not well resolved when editing text is the placement of the text caret navigation.
- Wrapping huge text conveniently is very important to avoid having the user scroll too much, uff I find myself scrolling\enlarging all the time, that process to fit a readable view into the screen should be more automatic, regarding text wrapping a solution could be that one could select a paragraph with a quick option to rewrap/enlarge the rest of the document  the same as that paragraph.
- I wouldn't mind to have to tap as many times as needed to magnify anything, be it a button, link, input box..a magnified region should be brought up for anything. Something like what i've seen in Chrome for android when the ui has doubts about where the user has just pressed, then an enlarged loupe is brought up so that you can select more precisely, i would like that this sort of loupe showed up all the time for everything no matter how many times you'd need to tap to activate a function/control/link..
- Emulation of mouse for tablets could be a handy feature, imagine yourself moving a semitransparent mouse and seeing the pointer just a few inches above your finger, you could right click/double click within this control without worrying about your chubby fingers.

wraith808:
I can't help but think Windows-RT will eventually go the way of Windows CE (now CE was one cool and fast little OS!) and Surface the way of Zune.
-40hz (March 19, 2014, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget the Windows Tablet PC.  That's where I got bitten.

40hz:
-40hz (March 19, 2014, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget the Windows Tablet PC.  That's where I got bitten.
-wraith808 (March 19, 2014, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hear ya! ;D

I don't even buy Microsoft mice any more after the last three wireless units I purchased crapped out within three months. One of their USB nano receivers also fried and nearly took out a USB port on my GF's new Win7 laptop. I burnt a finger pulling it out. It was that hot. No joke.

It's back to Logitech AFAIC. Those trusty little Logitech M325s  :Thmbsup: are unkillable. (Or at least they are in my world.)

Stoic Joker:
Keyboard should be semitransparent-kilele (March 19, 2014, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn! Now that would be handy! Especially when working at a command prompt where the input tends to be at the bottom of the screen and behind the keyboard. So you end up just having to guess if you typed it right until you can close/minimize the keyboard before restoring it to hit enter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version