ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

<< < (8/15) > >>

Stoic Joker:
On the other hand, I had a Windows 8 Pro tablet.  I really wanted to like it...-wraith808 (February 17, 2014, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny you should say that, as I approached the ElitePad in much the same fashion. The problem - and there is only one, but it's huge - is that lacking a physical keyboard, if I "click" or rather touch a text field...the on screen keyboard should appear...instead of making me hunt for it. But sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't...and the inconsistency just drives me bat shit.

wraith808:
That's not exactly fair.  You're speaking to the feelings of people on a scale that we can't even know.
-wraith808 (February 17, 2014, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure I understand - its not a question of being fair it is what my customers tell me on a daily basis. How are the feelings of the average user in a business "on a scale that we can't even know"?
-Carol Haynes (February 18, 2014, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Look at where you said that.  If you'd said your customers.  Or the people that I'm involved with.  But you didn't.

[...] since Windows 8 was released I have met precisely 1 customer who says they actually like the new interface - everyone else the first thing they say to me is 'how can I get rid of this'.
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

in fairness, [I presume] you're dealing with people who are looking for help, i.e. you're [probably] not dealing with people who are coping well with the change (they are out there - look at Josh/Allen/Innuendo/Josh's wife/wraith's son/etc./etc.).

Mind you - even after saying that - I reckon I'd fit well into your customer base :-[
-tomos (February 17, 2014, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair even the ones coping quite well with using it want rid because it just annoys them all the time. If your main use of a computer is Word, Excel and Outlook what exactly is the point of the not-Metro interface.
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're talking about the ones coping quite well, after Tomos talked about specific people quoted on the board.  Implying that the people on the board who are coping quite well want to get rid of it.  As I said, my son hates to go back to windows 7.  So, I can say for sure that the one case that I know of and have knowledge of personally doesn't want to get rid of the interface.  And he's not the only one I know that has windows 8- it's just not come up.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry it was unclear - my previous post before I was talking about my customers' reactions and I just used "the ones" to continue my train of thought!

Oh the joys of posting in threads ;-)

johnk:
I'm a bit late to this debate but my recent experience with Win8 prompts me to add a few words. I tried Win8 as soon as it came out but had to roll back to Win7 as my HP laptop had one of those hybrid AMD/Intel video cards and there was no driver on the horizon.

Fast forward to last month, and I found a Nokia Lumia 920 at a very good price, and decided to try Windows Phone 8, fully expecting to dislike it. Right now, if asked, I'd say without hesitation that Windows Phone is the best mobile OS (although the bar is very low -- they're all far from perfect). I use the 920 every day, and my once-loved Razr i is sitting in a drawer. Not at all what I expected. WP8 is well thought out, with features that make me reluctant to go back to Android. Glance for one...

And then a couple of weeks ago I bought a Microsoft Surface (RT), as they're now priced very reasonably. And again it far exceeded my expectations. Almost every piece I have read about the RT OS has been violently negative. And having used it for a couple of weeks, I just can't see the problem (for tablet use). It's a gorgeous bit of hardware, which cost me £250 including the touch keyboard (which I use all the time), and full-fat Office, including Outlook. And the crippled desktop still gives me full access to the registry editor and all the other system applets. I wanted to enable network shares? Simple -- open services.msc as normal, switch on the sharing service. It's all there. I no longer use my Android tablet. A pattern is emerging...

For what it's worth (something between very little and nothing), if I were boss of Microsoft I would bet the farm on RT. Demote full-fat Windows to a niche product and merge Windows Phone into RT (why on earth is there a separate phone OS in the first place?). The only people who object to walled-garden OSs are consumer geeks (i.e. the sort of people who inhabit this forum). I'm guessing that if you offered corporates a walled-garden OS (RT) that communicated seamlessly with Windows Server/Exchange and offered VPN access/whatever else might be essential, then said corporates would be perfectly happy.

Having said all that, I still run Win7 on my desktop, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I remain a consumer geek, but will keep an eye on Windows 9...

wraith808:
They're actually going in the reverse of what you said- WinRT is destined for the bin.  Which was one of the main reasons that I sold my tablet.  I can't have confidence in it if they don't.  I got bitten by that twice before with MS, and just as I was ready to give them another try...

...that said, after using iOS, it does still feel in its nacency to me.  When I was returning it to factory, the screen would only go portrait, though all of the dialogs were wider than that, and you couldn't adjust at all.

They're a company trying to do everything, and succeeding a little when it comes to mobile devices IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version