ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

<< < (7/15) > >>

Carol Haynes:
[...] since Windows 8 was released I have met precisely 1 customer who says they actually like the new interface - everyone else the first thing they say to me is 'how can I get rid of this'.
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

in fairness, [I presume] you're dealing with people who are looking for help, i.e. you're [probably] not dealing with people who are coping well with the change (they are out there - look at Josh/Allen/Innuendo/Josh's wife/wraith's son/etc./etc.).

Mind you - even after saying that - I reckon I'd fit well into your customer base :-[
-tomos (February 17, 2014, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair even the ones coping quite well with using it want rid because it just annoys them all the time. If your main use of a computer is Word, Excel and Outlook what exactly is the point of the not-Metro interface.

And lets face it the ONLY reason for the new interface is to push the app store (which like Apple and Google stores is full of crap and scumware) - it doesn't really add much else to Windows of use. The apps are pretty lacking in most people's opinion. Haven't looked recently but is there a Facebook RT app yet - there wasn't for a hell of a long time!!

Have to say I use Android a lot and I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with that too - I hate all the functionally crippled apps - eg. the GMail is pretty annoying compared to the web interface allowing virtually no convenient ways to actually manage your email (yes you can read and write emails but everything else is clunky) - Android Mail app by comparison is in the stone age.

Facebook apps on Android and the Apple eco-system are all pretty terrible compared to the full browser based version - there is just so much you can't do!! Hell you have to have a separate app to manage pages (which is even more limited in functionality than the main app) and if you manage a FB group most of the settings are missing in the mobile apps.

For all these companies this is all just about money ... none of them give a toss about what customers/users actually want or need.

TaoPhoenix:
To be fair even the ones coping quite well with using it want rid because it just annoys them all the time. If your main use of a computer is Word, Excel and Outlook what exactly is the point of the not-Metro interface.

And lets face it the ONLY reason for the new interface is to push the app store (which like Apple and Google stores is full of crap and scumware) - it doesn't really add much else to Windows of use. The apps are pretty lacking in most people's opinion. Haven't looked recently but is there a Facebook RT app yet - there wasn't for a hell of a long time!!

Have to say I use Android a lot and I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with that too - I hate all the functionally crippled apps - eg. the GMail is pretty annoying compared to the web interface allowing virtually no convenient ways to actually manage your email (yes you can read and write emails but everything else is clunky) - Android Mail app by comparison is in the stone age.

Facebook apps on Android and the Apple eco-system are all pretty terrible compared to the full browser based version - there is just so much you can't do!! Hell you have to have a separate app to manage pages (which is even more limited in functionality than the main app) and if you manage a FB group most of the settings are missing in the mobile apps.

For all these companies this is all just about money ... none of them give a toss about what customers/users actually want or need.
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm actually kinda surprised that for twenty years even fourth rate desktop programs do more than most of the truly awful apps in those stores. It's almost an ironic reversal of what the "cold hard cash economy" of the apps were supposed to do! And the proportionate space used by iAd or whatever it's called is apalling - maybe 15% of the screen space!

Heh xkcd nailed it a little while back.
http://xkcd.com/1174/

wraith808:
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not exactly fair.  You're speaking to the feelings of people on a scale that we can't even know.  My son quite likes it, and when he has to go back to his Windows 7, he doesn't want to.  Just being able to search for anything through the charms appeals to him.

On the other hand, I had a Windows 8 Pro tablet.  I really wanted to like it... but after being used to the iOS interface on my other tablet, and some strangeness b/c of the fact that there was a whole OS underneath that wasn't aware of anything other than portrait, I sold it.

It's really a matter of individual opinion.  They just didn't do enough to sway, and more attempted to force.  Truthfully, I think if they had an option to us a classic start menu in order to ease people into it and give people a choice, it would turn out to be pretty much a non-issue.  And having the option might have meant that people would have eventually had not-metro grow on them.  Of course, trying to make WinRT on top of it is the reason that they didn't do that.  Some key decisions were just stupid, IMO.  And I think that's their largest pain point.

Carol Haynes:
That's not exactly fair.  You're speaking to the feelings of people on a scale that we can't even know.
-wraith808 (February 17, 2014, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure I understand - its not a question of being fair it is what my customers tell me on a daily basis. How are the feelings of the average user in a business "on a scale that we can't even know"?

tomos:
^Well, you were responding to my post where I was pointing out that some people here were "coping well" with Win8. What I was saying -- but maybe phrased badly -- was that they were/are happy with it (I since edited my post to reflect that).

... you're [probably] not dealing with people who are coping well [happy] with the change (they are out there - look at Josh/Allen/Innuendo/Josh's wife/wraith's son/etc./etc.).
-tomos (February 17, 2014, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Obviously your experience with your customers is relevant, but doesnt negate other people's positive experiences with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version