ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster

<< < (6/15) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Personally, this reminds of when Windows XP first hit the streets and everybody swore up and down that it was a terrible, no-good OS with a horrible "kindergarten GUI". Look at it now, we can't get rid of the friggin OS. I, for one, enjoy the metro start screen (although I boot to desktop). The start screen is actually fairly intuitive and allows me to hide unnecessary clutter caused by menu after menu of new program folders. Heck, I never used the all programs menu in vista/7 with the type to search feature.
-Josh (February 17, 2014, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, way back then they were kinda right - XP didn't get really stable until about Service Pack 3. And it is pretty easy to "theme away" the "Kindergarten" look.

Carol Haynes:
Windows 8.1 and Start8 on my laptop ... guess what it looks and works almost exactly like Windows 7 and I am happy with that.

The not-Metro interface is a turn off for me (though I can use it on customer computers if I really have to). More importantly since Windows 8 was released I have met precisely 1 customer who says they actually like the new interface - everyone else the first thing they say to me is 'how can I get rid of this'.

The biggest annoyance I have to deal with is the plethora of really crappy apps that people download for the not-Metro interface - not least email apps that are very VERY limited and have no way to export data to something better. People who don't know better drift round the MS app store looking for anything that is free to solve a problem and end up in a horrendous mess.

I have been a Microsoft Partner for the last 5 years with a MAPs subscription ... this year I won't be renewing as I really dislike almost all of their current product range and wouldn't actively recommend them apart from Windows 8 (provided Start 8 is included) but even then I wouldn't recommend people upgrade even from Vista!!

For the average non-techy customer out there Windows 8 has caused massive confusion and stress. Even when people get Windows RT phones they think they have something else and are surprised they are Windows devices (sharp selling from a lot of mobile companies to shift these devices into the market, and prey on people's bewilderment to do it).

I have never actually met anyone with a Windows 8 or RT tablet!

tomos:
[...] since Windows 8 was released I have met precisely 1 customer who says they actually like the new interface - everyone else the first thing they say to me is 'how can I get rid of this'.
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

in fairness, [I presume] you're dealing with people who are looking for help, i.e. you're [probably] not dealing with people who are coping well [happy] with the change (they are out there - look at Josh/Allen/Innuendo/Josh's wife/wraith's son/etc./etc.).

Mind you - even after saying that - I reckon I'd fit well into your customer base :-[

Stoic Joker:
I have never actually met anyone with a Windows 8 or RT tablet!-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2014, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've got an HP ElitePad with Windows 8 Pro on it, does that count?

Carol Haynes:
Sort of but since we have never actually met  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version