ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WARNING! Linksys routers infected with self-replicating worm/malware.

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
^ Yes, you're probably right - some kind of incompetence - but deliberately misleading too. Talking of which, I mentioned above that I had used the Linksys WRT120N. I had thought, from the box, that it would have been capable of up to 150Mbps. Not so, as this interesting and detailed technical analysis by smallnetbuilder.com explained: Not-So-Brilliant Disguise: Linksys By Cisco WRT120N Wireless-N Home Router Reviewed

The analysis is well worth a read.
Conclusion:
In case you missed it, Cisco didn't directly answer the question regarding expected speeds. But if you read carefully, you'll see that they are saying that the WRT120N is only certified to be interoperable at 802.11g speeds, i.e. 54 Mbps maximum link rate, even with Wi-Fi Certified Draft 11n devices.
On that basis alone, I just can't recommend the not-certified-for-draft-802.11n WRT120N, no matter how Cisco tries to disguise it.

--- End quote ---

So, Linksys/Cisco apparently deliberately sold a product that was known to be inferior to the deliberately implied superiority, and used technical obfuscation to conceal that fact and thus deliberately mislead the consumer.
How d'you like them apples?    :tellme:

40hz:
So, Linksys/Cisco apparently deliberately sold a product that was known to be inferior to the deliberately implied superiority, and used technical obfuscation to conceal that fact and thus deliberately mislead the consumer.

How d'you like them apples? :tellme
-IainB (February 15, 2014, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't. And haven't for some time. So I eventually made my own. ;D

My network - my way!

There's plenty of info up on the web on how to build a router inexpensively using FOSS or freebie software. You can get a small low-power mini PC to run it on - or repurpose some 'closet queen' you have lying around waiting to be brought in for recycling (when you get around to it.) The Home Server Show published an article a while back that can get the techno-creative juices flowing... ;)

Stoic Joker:
So, why, one wonders, did UpNp get excommunicated and HNAP get invited in...?-IainB (February 14, 2014, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

UPnP is to allow misc. services to get out. HNAP is to let misc. "Admins" get in. But skipping past the whole opposite directional intent bit. UPnP got much more (sales pitching to customers) exposure. Where HNAP was never really used much, because:
 1. admitting the thing could break isn't a sales highpoint.
 2. Getting the customer to enable UPnP (assuming it wasn't already by default) was the easiest route out for support people.
 3. The only time support would really need to get into a (residential...) customer's router...was when they were stuck offline...making the point of the protocol rather moot.

40hz:
^^ Yeah. It gets really funny when you have a router you're completely locked out of, and the first thing the support tech wants to do is have you allow them to "remote in."

Almost as funny as only providing home router tech support via chat or e-mail.

Did somebody watch Despicable Me and find gospel or something? Sheesh! :-\

IainB:
The Home Server Show[/b][/url] published an [url=http://homeservershow.com/building-your-own-super-router-with-pfsense-and-untangle.html]article...
-40hz (February 15, 2014, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version