ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Security Suites (2013/2014)

<< < (2/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Zoiks! With the exception of the top few, those are some frighteningly high percentages.

mouser:
The one area I think Neil gave himself (and the tech support of these companies) huge amounts of completely unnecessary pain, and colored his results as well, is how determined he was that these tools should be able to do their initial install on an already virused system.

That's asking too much, and no one should turn to an antivirus/security app after an infection to rescue them from it.  If you are trying to recover from an infection you should use a dedicated self-booting repair tool, or something similar.

40hz:
The one area I think Neil gave himself (and the tech support of these companies) huge amounts of completely unnecessary pain, and colored his results as well, is how determined he was that these tools should be able to do their initial install on an already virused system.

That's asking too much, and no one should turn to an antivirus/security app after an infection to rescue them from it.  If you are trying to recover from an infection you should use a dedicated self-booting repair tool, or something similar.
-mouser (February 13, 2014, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

This x 1000!

The real goal is interception and prevention - not scrubbing a system after it's infected.

I'm always more interested in how effective the realtime scanner is. Not how well the cleaner works. Especially since (with some of the root level  and MBR infections running around) disinfecting a system (even with a bootable antimalware disk or key) leaves the system inoperable after the clean-up finishes. At which point you’re now left doing data recovery, and then reinstalling your OS - and all your apps. Not fun. Even with an image available.

8)

mouser:
Yep.

In general, I would not put too much weight on the actual numerical ratings and editor's choice in this roundup.  Neil's priorities are different than ours.  In addition to focusing on removal of infections, he also seems biased towards suites that have everything including the kitchen sink, while many of us, myself include, do not want all this bloatware and are just interested in antivirus+firewall.

Having said that -- this massive comparative review (and the charts the accompany it) are full of very useful information -- and the overall impressions, coming from someone who has tried so many, are likewise useful.

longrun:
I'm running Bitdefender AV Plus on almost everything I have using Windows right now and I'm happy with the performance and protection level it provides.
-40hz (February 13, 2014, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was on the verge of buying BitDefender on a Newegg special until I read some truly horrifying user reviews--BSOD's, corrupted systems, etc. I've never used it so I don't know the validity of these comments, but they might be worth looking at before buying.

I've used VIPRE for years. The most annoying thing about it is that it still flags a bunch of DC programs like ClipTrap even though I've contacted VIPRE repeatedly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version