ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

For Serious Research: Cadillac of "ClipBoard Managers" vs. "Info/Data Manager"

<< < (7/9) > >>

40hz:
Edit: removed. Link I posted here was mentioned earlier in thread.  :-[

tomos:
It was this article by Manfred Kuehn that got me started: Some Idiosyncratic Reflections on Note-Taking in General
and ConnectedText in Particular
-dr_andus (February 16, 2014, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

that was impressive. Will have to read some more about the actual Zettelkasten system, as he doesnt really explain it there in much depth.

While reading, I was wondering if CT+Zettelkasten was useful for writing too - interesting to note he says this article was the first he wrote in CT. Occured to me it might be helpful to have notes in one app and write in another. What's your approach there?

TaoPhoenix:
Looks like an interesting system, especially for complex issues, scientific books, and journal articles. Could you recommend some readings on the topic?
-Attronarch (February 16, 2014, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was this article by Manfred Kuehn that got me started: Some Idiosyncratic Reflections on Note-Taking in General
and ConnectedText in Particular

He blogs frequently about Zettelkasten.

Christian Tietze's blog posts on the matter are also helpful.

And here is the original Luhmann article: Communicating with Slip Boxes: An Empirical Account
-dr_andus (February 16, 2014, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

These are some power articles.

But maybe there's "theory" that goes down-level as well as up-level.

I like MyInfo as one of Four Two One winner app that just lets me smash out info. I'm "just a customer" aka no hidden agendas, but as a User I spent over a year and over twenty programs came up short.

Per these articles, years ago I got fascinated by that kind of high level theory. But if the "Implementation" has a fatal flaw, in real life you lose months of your productive life. (Speaking from experience!)

(Your choice of who) have taken smaller goals and implemented them well. In Data Mgt to me that's huge - do a smaller subset tightly and maybe I can work around my edge case, than get too big and have the whole thing implode.

dr_andus:
While reading, I was wondering if CT+Zettelkasten was useful for writing too - interesting to note he says this article was the first he wrote in CT. -tomos (February 18, 2014, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's certainly possible, especially since CT v. 6, as you can have unlimited floating windows of notes open, while doing the writing and editing in the main window. CT also has its own dedicated single-pane outliner, which can be combined with the notes to be used as a dual-pane outliner/viewer of notes.

Occured to me it might be helpful to have notes in one app and write in another. What's your approach there?
-tomos (February 18, 2014, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is probably down to individual taste (and budget). I prefer to use CT as my database of notes (Zettelkasten), displayed in my third monitor on my right, while I do my writing in WriteMonkey in the central monitor. CT does have a full-screen writing mode, but it's not as good as WM's or Scrivener's.

I use CT's outliner mainly as a to-do list to track the writing tasks, but I use a Freeplane mind map for the overall outline of a writing project. The nice thing is that it is easy to link specific CT notes to specific Freeplane mind map/outline items, so clicking on a Freeplane node can bring up a corresponding note with a quote or comment in CT.

dr_andus:
Per these articles, years ago I got fascinated by that kind of high level theory. But if the "Implementation" has a fatal flaw, in real life you lose months of your productive life. (Speaking from experience!)

(Your choice of who) have taken smaller goals and implemented them well. In Data Mgt to me that's huge - do a smaller subset tightly and maybe I can work around my edge case, than get too big and have the whole thing implode.
-TaoPhoenix (February 18, 2014, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really wouldn't want to suggest that the Zettelkasten approach (or desktop wikis) is a magic bullet solution for all kinds of data management problems. If a hierarchical organisation approach works for you, there is no need to abandon that.

My own problem had to do with the organisation, analysis and synthesis of qualitative data for academic research, and the wiki/Zettelkasten solution emerged as a solution to the limitations of traditional academic qualitative data analysis software (so-called QDA or CAQDAS software, such as NVivo, Atlas.ti, QDA Miner etc.).

It took me repeated trials of CT over 2-3 years to figure out how I could use it, and even after that it took another year of resisting the Zettelkasten method until I realised its main benefits. Now I'm kicking myself for not adopting some kind of a similar index-card system at the start of my undergraduate studies. Obviously taking and organising notes is a core academic skill and it probably makes or breaks an academic career especially in the humanities and social sciences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version