ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

For Serious Research: Cadillac of "ClipBoard Managers" vs. "Info/Data Manager"

<< < (2/9) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
^mightn't be a bad idea, but if he's looking for a clipboard manager, it would be good if any alternative could offer universal clipping and the ability in a dialogue to dictate where the clip goes (no idea if MyInfo offers that).

@Nicholas, what (if anything) are you using to manage the info?
-tomos (February 10, 2014, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I'm getting at that once we shift from the word "clipboard manager", then universally you copy something, and the same "actionspace" where you have to decide "where it goes", you click on the MyInfo Project node and then paste it.

For me the key is scale, Clipboard managers can even handle some 20 items, but then for me they fall flat pretty fast. Those things are best used for the top 20 most used things you always find yourself pasting.

Instead, he said research, hence my piping up. So Research is meant to be long term. And I emphasized that because research evolves, if you/he doesn't like the exact structure of the material, you can easily move it around in entire chunks. Up, down, sideways, make mirror copies, and more.

It's tied for "two winners" of a year long search I did a few years back on this stuff, with the only reason the other candidate failed being it emerged it had a fatal core bug but the killer export and other basic features were there.

And looping high back to that "what software would you pay for", ... it's only of only like three programs I have paid over $50 for.

TaoPhoenix:
I'll recommend again my top choice I use myself for this stuff: "MyInfo". -TaoPhoenix (February 10, 2014, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
TaoPhoenix, does MyInfo have hotkeys for adding Web pages and parts of Web pages, like RightNote does, or is it whole-page and mouse only?  Also, does it have a Merge feature, something I found useful with EverNote 2.2 (the old desktop app) for combining sections of Web pages?
-rjbull (February 10, 2014, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, let's try this in a couple of replies!

You know you just posted a triple barreled question, didn't you? Didn't you? In a thread, asking about ... subtopics?
:P  

So since for this moment Nick Kormanik isn't "Lead Querent" and you are, I added more nodes, and hid his nodes, to produce "your structure". (Heh Hint. Programmer to Manager Application - if you have three managers and they want to know different things, you can hide the other stuff they don't care about and emphasize "that day's important stuff" to answer questions!)

So "What is adding a whole webpage"? Sometimes you can just add a link. That is, if you think the page will be stable. I Recommend Miles "BBSS" for that instead, and THEN pasted into MyInfo! But if you MUST have a whole webpage, and can live with a little format-squabbling between javascripts, I get this below by going all
Control-A Select All - Control C Copy - Click over to Node - Control V Paste.

For Serious Research: Cadillac of "ClipBoard Managers" vs. "Info/Data Manager"

Update:
InsertMenu / Insert Web Document might be there.

One down! : )

TaoPhoenix:
From my bad layman's understanding outside his scope, I think :

1. "Merge" mystifies me - if it's as simple as cut and paste, do it, because for me "merging research" involves moving stuff around. But if you need hyper-precise automated data merging, I think an intermediate script is called for here.

2. I don't think it has its own built in scripting to parse a page and capture, so it sounds like a lowtek script is needed to do that, and even later upload it unto MyInfo. To my Layman Non-Programmer mind that doesn't sound hard, but then printing PDF's off of Webpages is harder than it looks too. Maybe it depends on the inspiration.

3. I think we're edging into a "clash of the Killer Features". For me, the $100 app was that this one of only two the only program that could take all your data, and then "12 clicks later" produce this:

http://www.freevoteusa.com/Z-DonationCoder/MyInfo-RawDemo1/index.html

Remember you can adjust the relative pane sizes vs which pane really needs width.

*Minus 12 minutes because I like spaces in my filenames on Windows and that's not really best!

P.S. It's supposed to be expanded. I am working with the dev on that bug.  Just click the little + signs to expand.

nkormanik:
Thanks to the above members TaoPhoenix, Tomos, Rjbull for offering suggestions.

Tomos asks what am I "managing" the data with.  That seems to really point to the crux of the issue.  Having used Clipboard Trap..., I have a 'shoebox' (=folder) of long text files, each one with an assortment of topics.

Perhaps the focus of my query should NOT be with the clipboard manager point-in-time so much, but instead with "managing" the data.

Once the data is copied -- through any clipboard manager -- THEN what to do with it.  AT THAT POINT the data could be divided up into topics and sub-topics, arranged and re-arranged.

Skwire has built into Clipboard Trap the option of using a customizable 'delimiter', which separates snippets of text.  For that delimiter I use "=====" plus linefeeds above and below.  The delimiter could be used to automatically break apart the snippets when, say, importing the text files into a data management program.

Skwire, do you know of a program, or have you already written one, that can import delimited Clipboard Trap text files?  What would you suggest?

So, maybe the clipboard manager matter has already been adequately handled.  Maybe we need to figure out what to do with those copied files once we have them, to be further "managed".....

For such data management..., I would think an outliner-type program would be best.  The one I presently view as top pick is Scrivener:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

Followed by TreeLine:

http://treeline.bellz.org/

If you know of any better, please speak up.

So, once again..., surf the internet for relevant info, copy snippets using delimiters, import into data-holding-and-managing program.  Then massage, organize, edit, etc.

TaoPhoenix:
Thanks to the above members TaoPhoenix, Tomos, Rjbull for offering suggestions.

Tomos asks what am I "managing" the data with.  That seems to really point to the crux of the issue.  Having used Clipboard Trap..., I have a 'shoebox' of long text files, each one with an assortment of topics.
Perhaps the focus of my query should NOT be with the clipboard manager point-in-time so much, but instead with "managing" the data.
-nkormanik (February 10, 2014, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to get aggressive once, and if I fail this time, I'll hold my piece. Esp since I now know that Demigod Kormanik is close at hand!

1. Stop using the word Clipboard. You added the new word "Shoebox". Let's empty the Shoebox.
2. Create your "Super Header/Overall Header/Main Header/Subtopic 1 2 3 4 5 6 7"
3. If it really is text files, go all Control-A SelectAll/Control-C Copy/Click to Node/Control-V Paste on them all

4. ETA is 17 minutes. If you don't have your entire shoebox of text files copied by then you're doing something wrong. Stopwatch starts in T-Minus-7 minutes for you to notice if  you are in fact still here, or later if you are one of those "post twice a day" fellows, (which I discourage in a lightning hot topic!)

Go.

Yours,

Tao

+7 min ultra slack
+7 min to read
+17 min to actually do

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version