ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

For Serious Research: Cadillac of "ClipBoard Managers" vs. "Info/Data Manager"

(1/9) > >>

nkormanik:
For single topic clipboard saving I prefer Skwire's Clipboard Trap.  One long string of 'snippets' is created, in a single text file.

Presently, though, I'm researching an area with several sub-topics.  Perhaps a super-high-powered clipboard manager would be the best approach, one with configurable direction where items are to be saved.

Let's assume 5 sub-topics.  We cruise the Internet reading this and that.  We come across an item we want to save to Sub-topic 1.  Copy and save it to a Sub-topic 1 file.  Then we come across an item that belongs in Sub-topic 3.  Copy and save to a Sub-topic 3 file.  Etc. regarding Sub-topic 5, Sub-topic 2, Sub-topic 4.  So... five different files, as appropriate, are created and saved, with the relevant information in each.

I'm curious to hear views as to what might be the very best such research saving software presently available in the realm of clipboard managers.

Greatly appreciate your input.

Nicholas Kormanik

TaoPhoenix:
For single topic clipboard saving I prefer Skwire's Clipboard Trap.

Presently, though, I'm researching an area with several sub-topics.

Let's assume 5 sub-topics.  We cruise the Internet reading this and that.  We come across an item we want to save to Sub-topic 1.  Copy and save.  Then we come across an item that belongs in Sub-topic 3.  Copy and save.  Etc. re Sub-topic 5, Sub-topic 2, Sub-topic 4.

I'm curious to hear views as to what might be the very best such research saving software presently available.

Greatly appreciate your input.

Nicholas Kormanik
-nkormanik (February 09, 2014, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Nicholas,

As soon as we remove the term "Clipboard Manager" and go with your other term "Research Saving Software", I'll recommend again my top choice I use myself for this stuff: "MyInfo".

For certain structured research like what it sounds like you're doing, it's a good candidate match. Let's do one example in action.

Part ____. Initial Opening of your project.
- Open MyInfo
- Close the existing project from last time (it reloads, mostly useful when you work on the same research)
- Create New Project
- Create a couple of TopTopLevel headers as placeholders. (Just a pet tip from me, the need for a "Meta Comment" keeps showing up.)
- The "Project" IS your "Research", so you don't actually start with SubTopics - you simply have some initial topic split.

Part A:
1. Create a Topic. Click the lowest of the "reserved headers" and hit Control-Alt-N to start your first "Real Topic" & name it.
2. Click the first "Real Topic" and hit Control-N  Control-N  Control-N  Control-N  Control-N  Control-N  Control-N
Whoosh! There's your seven main topic shells! Name three of them, leave some blank ones, etc.
3. Click Topic 1 and hit Control-Alt-N to create your first SubTopic. Then click that SubTopic and hit Control-N a bunch of times to create your other subtopics at that level.

Part B.
1. The program is two-pane. So all that topic shell spacing was in a tree on the left. So on the right you just click on the node that you have some research for, and paste it in.
2. You can contract parts of nodes to hide the unused sections for later to reduce the "visual noise". That leaves your concentration for that day's heavy topic.
3. For me, the Killer App feature of the Pro version is that it can export to a web page, so then you have an export means for getting input and review.

Note: The odd looking toolbar is actually the result of a feature! I generally hate toolbars, and only needed about three things on it, so I used the program feature to strip the other twenty things from it!
;D

I'll leave you now to go back to my "Notes Project" and add the contents of the seventeen paper sticky notes in my wallet!
8)

tomos:
^mightn't be a bad idea, but if he's looking for a clipboard manager, it would be good if any alternative could offer universal clipping and the ability in a dialogue to dictate where the clip goes (no idea if MyInfo offers that).

@Nicholas, what (if anything) are you using to manage the info?

rjbull:
One of the features of ClipMagic (payware, currently on offer) is Categorise/Organise your clips. Create rules/filters for incoming clips.
--- End quote ---

You can do something similar with Virtual Folders in mouser's Clipboard Help+Spell, but you need SQL to do it.  CHS' own Help points you to these DC threads for more information:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27336.0 
* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4135.0 
* https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=31816 

rjbull:
I'll recommend again my top choice I use myself for this stuff: "MyInfo". -TaoPhoenix (February 10, 2014, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
TaoPhoenix, does MyInfo have hotkeys for adding Web pages and parts of Web pages, like RightNote does, or is it whole-page and mouse only?  Also, does it have a Merge feature, something I found useful with EverNote 2.2 (the old desktop app) for combining sections of Web pages?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version