ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

For Serious Research: Cadillac of "ClipBoard Managers" vs. "Info/Data Manager"

<< < (4/9) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Coda: I just noticed a half made fifth system, not yet ready.

Why save pages at all? Some combination of MilesAhead's BBSS feature I requested back kicks in here. You open up a bunch of webpages as research, then run BBSS and it spits out a list of page titles and links. Somewhere here I swear I've seen something that loads webpages from a list of links, so that should run it backwards if you later want to load all 12 of those sites again.

Then you just manage your sets of links (in your structured note program haha!)

:D

nkormanik:
TaoPhoenix, thanks for sharing with us your work process.  Complicated, huh.

For serious research we must have some sort of system.  Reading through web pages, ebooks, papers, etc., to find potential 'puzzle pieces'.  Storing these, perhaps into some basic categories (as opposed to one huge messy 'shoebox'=folder).  Importing into a program permitting restructuring.  Then structuring and organizing, down to the finest detail.

Would be interesting to hear how others have managed.

tomos:
ConnectedText, which is a desktop wiki, has such an import function (it calls the 'delimiter' a 'separator'). It also has its own "clipboard catcher", so it can paste text directly into an open "topic" (CT document).

Advantages of CT are that it's a non-hierarchical system and it has a variety of annotating/categorising features and powerful search options, so it's suitable database for a very large number of topics (tens of thousands), which might be challenging to manage in a traditional hierarchical tree-based folder structure.

The main downside is that there is a fairly steep learning curve associated with it (unless one already knows about wiki markup and has an engineer's or programmer's type of mind - as opposed to being a 'poet' ;)).
-dr_andus (February 11, 2014, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds interesting.
I tried but couldnt find any YT videos giving an idea how it might work. I didn't find the homepage very informative, but this review was a help to understand the basics anyways:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056540/connectedtext-6-review-personal-wiki-adds-long-requested-features.html

(A rigid outline just seems so limiting to me at this stage -- why I find CT interesting as well).

TaoPhoenix:
TaoPhoenix, thanks for sharing with us your work process.  Complicated, huh.

For serious research we must have some sort of system.  Reading through web pages, ebooks, papers, etc., to find potential 'puzzle pieces'.  Storing these, perhaps into some basic categories (as opposed to one huge messy 'shoebox'=folder).  Importing into a program permitting restructuring.  Then structuring and organizing, down to the finest detail.

Would be interesting to hear how others have managed.
-nkormanik (February 13, 2014, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nicholas, what materials do you have already? Nested subfolders of data on your drive? I haven't tested pictures but MyInfo has at least partial support for reading in entire folders & subfolders into a single project.

My workstyle has never needed tags thus far, but I do get the value of them. Sometimes you can get confused if something like the NY City Hall Train Station fits both the "NY Subway History" category and "Cool Tourist Places".

nkormanik:
TaoPhoenix, I haven't even gotten to the 'nested' subfolders yet.  Just a single folder jammed with an assortment of snippets.

Tomos, would you please share how outlines seem limiting?  Outlines are what I've been thinking of doing.  If there is some other approach I'd love to learn about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version