ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unchecky: automatically unchecking unwanted offers, while installing software!

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
http://unchecky.com/ and http://rammichael.com/unchecky-v0-2

The first versions of unchecky were far too "unstable" to trust during installation. The new version .2.xx however is quite good. But still beta without any guarantees...

Tired of unchecking unrelated offers while installing software?

Have you ever felt, while installing software, that the installer tries to push additional unwanted programs at all cost? Ever missed a checkbox, and spent hours afterwards removing adware? Ever opened your browser after an installation, only to find out that you have a new homepage, a new search engine, or even a new browser?

Introducing Unchecky!
Keeps your checkboxes clear.

Unchecky aims to keep potentially unwanted programs out of your computer.-unchecky.com
--- End quote ---
While Unchecky v0.2 is still labeled as beta, it’s much more stable and robust than the early v0.1.x versions. More than 20 issues were closed. Many more installers are supported. If you were hesitant to try Unchecky because of its early age, you might want to consider trying it now.

You can get Unchecky at unchecky.com-RaMMicHaeL
--- End quote ---

Unchecky Unchecks
Unchecky automatically unchecks unrelated offers, both saving you mouse clicks and making it less likely to miss a checkbox of an unwanted offer.

Unchecky Warns
Installers often try to sneak additional programs as a natural part of the installation. Unchecky warns you when you try to accept a potentially unwanted offer, which makes it less likely to be accepted accidentally.

Unchecky Updates automatically
Install and forget. Unchecky automatically updates whenever a new version is available, so you don't have to worry about running the latest version.

Unchecky is freeware
http://unchecky.com/

--- End quote ---

techidave:
I looked at this yesterday and it looks really good.  I installed it on my home computer and am looking to install it on the school computers too.  I get tired of sitting in front of a teacher computer only to find it has some mcaffee or norton sw on it.  I know that I didn't do it cause we don't use either one.  Sometimes I will see Adobe Reader 4 on them because they installed some really old educational software that things it needs ver 4 and they ain't smart enough to uncheck the box.   >:(

this could be really good piece to have to keep away all the junk that java and adobe want you to have!   :)

TaoPhoenix:
Does anyone have actual testing results?

There's lots of those kinds of install forms out there, so this software concept sounds like it could be trickier to implement than it looks. From my Layman's view, there could be issues because installers tend to want to grab focus, and each installer is different so I don't know how the engine of this works.

techidave:
I don't know how it works either, but it looks like they work with various installers.  If you find one it doesn't work with, then you can request they update it to work with it.

or something like this ... :-[

Zero3K:
I don't know how it works either, but it looks like they work with various installers.  If you find one it doesn't work with, then you can request they update it to work with it.

or something like this ... :-[
-techidave (February 08, 2014, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's no "they". Only one guy is developing the program and maintaining the script used to determine which checkboxes to uncheck, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version