ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Veoh crapware - its Web Player installs stealth virus

<< < (2/2)

bit:
^You've got a point.
My complaint is directed at Veoh, not OpenCandy.

At the above link at 'Remove Trovi Redirect'.
The clean-up includes running four different anti-malware tools, in the following order (quote);
How to remove Trovi.com Homepage – Virus Removal Guide

This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove Trovi.com from your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Remove Trovi.com browser hijacker from your computer with AdwCleaner
STEP 2: Remove Trovi.com from Internet Explore, Firefox and Google Chrome with Junkware Removal Tool (JRT).
STEP 3: Remove Trovi.com malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 4: Double-check for the Trovi.com infection with HitmanPro
(end quote)

These are fantastic programs, and really do a job on PUPs and other unwanted items.
HitmanPro gave a free one-time trial run and cleaned out a few other things as well.
But like it says, you have to follow the above steps in correct order, and now I have all four.

Curt:
... without a proxie, it says 'Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.softologic.com', and 'softologic ...-bit (February 08, 2014, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

info:
softologic.com is "InstallBrain" (no wiki), not "OpenCandy".

Both are repeatedly said to be harmless on their own, but to me InstallBrain is too dodgy (although not "dangerous") to stay on my computer. I have a couple of times had OpenCandy installed, when I was testing some program, and I saw nothing dangerous happen.

tomos:
^If I understand correctly, OpenCandy does not install at all - it is, or becomes, part of the installer, and facilitates the installation of something(s)-you-should-probably-avoid ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version