ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Hidden Files

<< < (3/3)

crabby3:
Have you tried an offline scan of the machine?
-Stoic Joker (February 13, 2014, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
All of the above mentioned full scans were offline.
I presume you are suggesting that Kaspersky may find viruses or malware that Avast, SAS, MBAM cannot?  :tellme:

+1! :Thmbsup: If Kapersky's offline scanner can't find or fix it, it's either not there - or it's not repairable and you'll need an OS restore to get around it.
-40hz (February 13, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am somewhat reluctant to invest in another AV program.  I may just download the Avast rescue disk to flash and run that.**
If I choose this Avast option... how should it be done?  Just leave it plugged into a USB port and restart?

**Foolishly I bought an Avast rescue disk, a while back and it even has my name on it.  Whoop-de-do.  Now it appears that CD is basically useless
because the virus definitions are outdated.  But now it seems I can create an up-to-date rescue CD or flash from within the Avast GUI.
Do people still hang CD's from their rear-view mirrors?  ;D

40hz:
^The Kapersky rescue scan ISO was available free last I looked.

But any quality rescue scanner should work just fine. If you like one brand more than another, use that.

FWIW I've had the best luck with the Kapersky disk. Possibly because it (optionally) will download its latest definition files to RAM before execution. Not all bootable scanners will do that. They'll only use the definition files that were available when the disk/key was created.

Kapersky isn't my top choice for a resident AV program. But as a bootable scanner I think it's one of the best out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version