ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Vurbal:
I don't have a problem with the standard height of the taskbar. The only time mine is even visible is when I want to look at it and at that point the increased height is an advantage. If you really want to make it useful, though, I recommend giving 7+ Taskbar Tweaker a look.

IainB:
I use small icons on a vertical taskbar so that I can easily access it between two monitors.
This lets me "stack" more taskbar buttons than I could have horizontally.
 (see attachment in previous post)
I've got 16gb of RAM, so it is easy to have so many apps running in the system tray,too.  On a horizontal taskbar I would never be able to see them all at once.
-BGM (February 06, 2014, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ditto. For years now - in XP and Win7-64 - I have used a vertical Taskbar configuration with auto-hide ON. Current example:

Carol Haynes:
Must be my eyes but on my 24" screen can't see a damn thing when it is set to small icons. Simpler to use auto hide if you want the space.

I have 3 x 24" monitors so the taskbar is not an issue for me ;)

CleverCat:
I have a "Laptop' Desk clock...  :D

IainB:
Must be my eyes but on my 24" screen can't see a damn thing when it is set to small icons. Simpler to use auto hide if you want the space.
I have 3 x 24" monitors so the taskbar is not an issue for me ;)
-Carol Haynes (February 07, 2014, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, LCD screens are a problem for my eyes too. Clarity of vision is essential. My laptop is a 14" display, and I couldn't read it without wearing specs. I have to use prescription reading glasses for reading, but they are of no use for reading the laptop display, because it is approx. twice as far away as one would hold a book, and the shallow depth of field of the specs doesn't cover the distance.

After some trial-and-error, I found that a pair of cheap ($10.00) 1.5 magnification off-the-shelf reading glasses from a supermarket did the trick. They have quite a deep depth of field, which enables me to use them for easy reading of the laptop, and for reading labels on products on supermarket shelves at roughly arm's length, and for reading a book if I don't have my reading specs handy (the prescription reading specs are preferable for books as they magnify the print a bit more than the cheaper specs).
If I want to see close up on something small - e.g., when soldering on a printed circuit board - I find that bringing both pairs of specs down in front of my eyes works a treat.

I always wear the cheaper specs on a lanyard around my neck. Thus exposed, they occasionally get broken, but it's not the sort of heart-stopping event as when you break your expensive prescription glasses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version