ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Continuing with XP

<< < (4/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I'd be concerned about the point wraith808 mentioned.

Putting on a tinfoil hat, the XP support ending thing isn't exactly a secret...
-ewemoa (February 06, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, me too, a little.

"Security Vulnerabilities" come in a couple of varieties - the ones that are more proof-of-concept, and every so often a doozy comes along that really hits the wild.

rgdot:
Don't stay with XP on the basis that 'I am confident I can remain safe', I wouldn't recommend this course of action.
Even with fully patched systems (via MS and via thrid parties) malware gets through, without them ... just don't try.

wraith808:
^ This. +1.

In a VM... but realize that you might have to nuke it.  And don't have it connected to anything else- just straight to the internet.  Or not connected at all.  But just running it?  I'd never recommend that course of action.

cranioscopical:
I am searching for a solution for my wife who staunchly refuses to leave her well-tuned XP behind.
-chrisk (February 06, 2014, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
If it's any consolation, I switched my wife's machine from XP to 8.1 and she can't tell the difference. If she's happy with it, chances are your wife will be happy with W7. She sees the same interface and runs the same software as before. To achieve that required very little tweaking. Unless you have some really old, quirky software to run your wife should be fine with W7, especially as I think you'd run the 32-bit variant. My wife neither knows nor cares how Windows works, so she's quite a good test case.

tomos:
If it's any consolation, I switched my wife's machine from XP to 8.1 and she can't tell the difference.
-cranioscopical (February 06, 2014, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

well, that gave me a good laugh! Wish I could say the same for myself...
meanwhile wondering if I should give you a multiple-choice on what *exactly* you're saying there about your wife ;-)

On topic:
I dont remember the change from XP to Win7 as being anything big - sure, any kind of change is challenging, on a computer especially for some reason. Even little changes can be frustrating, but in retrospect I'd say it was relatively easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version