ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits

<< < (5/12) > >>

mouser:
Nice new video talking about how to decide on which kind of controller:

mouser:
Which Arduino to buy:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/arduino-buying-guide-board-get/

4wd:
Something new for the IoT crowd among you: Mixtile GENA

Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits

Mixtile GENA is a wearable electronic development Kit that based on MT6260 and nRF51822 dual-processor architecture.

* A fully-functional development kit for wearable/IoT devices
* Get notifications from your iPhone/iPad
* Remotely control your iPhone/iPad with music playing and photo shooting
* Embedded with dual-Processors, BLE module, G-sensor and energy-saving LCD display
* Battery life up to 5 days; easy to charge with any standard micro-USB cables
* JavaScript API enables developers to create apps with JavaScript easily
--- End quote ---

Features:

1. MT6260/nRF51822 dual-processor architecture enables GENA platform powerful but efficient performances.
2. Ultra-small size of 27.6x40.2x9.1mm, integrated with Bluetooth Low Energy, G-sensor, Display, Motor, etc.
3. 8M RAM, 16M ROM memory, with extended storage up to 8GB.
4. No Client needed, capable of music playback controls, remote control camera, push notifications when connected with iOS devices. Android devices support will be available soon.
5. Ultra low power, with 10 days standby time and 4-5 days Bluetooth-active while frequently used, the built-in lithium battery runs on 3.7V/270mAh.
6. With ultra low power reflective LCD, screen is on all the time with no glare in bright lights. Back-lit screen works in dark as well.
7. High-sensitivity sensors could track steps walked, distance traveled and calories burned.
8. With open and product design, developers could make this ultra small device into almost anything.
9. Support JavaScript, open APIs, We work hard to make sure you can get the most of GENA with little programming experience.
--- End quote ---

mouser:
Neat!

After using raspberry pi and arduino, and with some suggestions from dc member Edvard, i finally have a better understanding myself of Raspberry Pi vs Arduino use -- at least for the kinds of projects I'm interested in.

At least in my case, the Raspberry Pi is just a small but fully capable linux pc with some input-output abilities.  Good for when you want to be able to do full normal development coding for a small standalone device.

The Arduino, for MY purposes, is much more suited as a little helper device that can be coded with small programs and is well suited for working in tandem communication with a full pc.

So for example, in my dicer project, the Raspberry Pi was a reasonable (although slow running) fully standalone computer that could do everything for the project -- run the software and drive the hardware.

But the Arduino turned out to be more useful to me, at least during development, as a helper device so that my Desktop pc could run the software at full speed, and communicate with the Arduino to do the hardware control.

Target:
Something new for the IoT crowd among you: Mixtile GENA-4wd (February 24, 2016, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

did you just get the littlebird email too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version