ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits

<< < (4/12) > >>

Target:
For those interested in the Arduino, Little Bird Electronics have a Kickstarter project up.-4wd (March 18, 2014, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

are you going to back it?

4wd:
For those interested in the Arduino, Little Bird Electronics have a Kickstarter project up.-4wd (March 18, 2014, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

are you going to back it?-Target (March 19, 2014, 03:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to but as always, it's dependent on monetary considerations.  I have a EtherTen that's been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years that was for a project I wanted to do but then ... procrastination set in  ::)

Although the MicroView would fit in nicely with what I wanted to do ... actually more than nicely ... hhmmm ... maybe I'll have to introduce Mr Piggy Bank to Mr Hammer ...

Vurbal:
The projects that interest me the most right now for the Raspberry Pi are using it to power either a laptop using the Motorola Atrix dock or a DIY Linux tablet.

For years (decades really) I've been envisioning a true personal computer which consists of a mobile core unit which interfaces with a variety of different dock-like devices. Until the iPhone came out I didn't realize how close something like that might be. There was an interesting product introduced about 10 years ago called the Mobile Computing Core which incorporated the general idea but never really had a shot in the real world.

The Arduino platform OTOH seems more interesting right now for building custom control surfaces.

40hz:
The projects that interest me the most right now for the Raspberry Pi are using it to power either a laptop using the Motorola Atrix dock or a DIY Linux tablet.

Until the iPhone came out I didn't realize how close something like that might be. There was an interesting product introduced about 10 years ago called the Mobile Computing Core which incorporated the general idea but never really had a shot in the real world.
-Vurbal (March 19, 2014, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much like the Alan Kay's Dynabook concept. Or the OLPC for that matter. If something causes a sufficient enough ripple in the tank, the sharks will soon circle and attempt to cripple or kill it. Look at all the 'venue shopping' and legal chicanery the opponents of Aereo are engaging in trying to find one court that will side with them against innovation, (Note: I understand they finally - after significant defeats in a half dozen coutrooms all over the USA - found a sufficiently clueless magistrate in the person of US District Judge Dale Kimball of Utah. There is now a Fox sponsored injunction against them in Salt Lake City and Denever. That's two of the top media markets in the world - as I'm sure we can all agree. :P)

I'm rather amazed the Pi and Arduino made it this far without somebody trying to IP litigate them out of existence. I guess  they're still not perceived as a sufficient enough threat.

But tomorrow's another day, right? :-\

40hz:
Igor Ljubuncic strikes again over at his Dedoimedo blog. :Thmbsup:  This time with a review of his RaspberryPi project. Read it here.

So I bought and tested a Raspberry Pi
Updated: March 21, 2014

Raspberry Pi needs no introduction, but since I can't start an article without its mandatory paragraph or two of small talk, I will introduce it. Yes, indeed. Raspberry Pi is basically a micro-computer, a single board the size of an enlarged credit card with a whole bunch of peripherals, allowing you to customize and create your own little computer. Selling points, ability to play HD video, you get my drift. Plug it in to a monitor, add a keyboard, and Bob's your uncle. Since Raspberry Pi is British, the phrase is doubly worth its place here.

Now take someone like me, a person who likes things big and sturdy, and I never custom build my own machines, but now, there's a precedent. Cheap, affordable, made for games and education, Raspberry Pi seems like an ideal opportunity to step away from the desktop and fiddle with the unknown. To wit, Dedoimedo tests the Pi. Yippie...<more>
--- End quote ---

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version