ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits

<< < (2/12) > >>

Target:

Hehe, if you only knew... ;D

I've installed (and even used) more operating systems than I can remember (not talking about Linux distros, but actual OSs), and every time I happen across any esoteric computing platform, my first thought is whether I can install Debian Linux on it.  I don't know exactly why, but it probably has a lot to do with Debian being my favorite Linux, and the fact that Debian (officially) supports 11 different architectures :Thmbsup:-Edvard (February 05, 2014, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

wouldn't flagellation be easier?

phitsc:
I found this comparison quite useful:

http://iqjar.com/jar/an-overview-and-comparison-of-todays-single-board-micro-computers/

40hz:
these should not be confused with compact PC ie the RPI/BeagleBone/etc are more like dev platforms than PC's and provide access to a range of peripherals not normally accessible from a 'normal' PC, while CuBox appears to be 'just' a compact PC
-Target (February 05, 2014, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree up to a point. Although in practice I don't think it's all that big a distinction considering how the majority of buyers tend to use the Pi and similar SBCs "as is" - which is to say they put them in some sort of case and slot them into single use roles (i.e home theater, webserver, NFS, router, etc.)

Very few people plug in a breakout cable or take a soldering iron to one of these little buggers (the Arduino being the exception) So regardless of whether or not these are considered to be more development type systems, in reality they're used mostly to build micro PCs. But it's still good to know the capability to do more than that is there. Especially since most of the really interesting projects I've seen involve additional hardware and/or some board mods.

I guess it's all what you want one of these things for.

The real beauty is that you can use them for virtually anything. And that might be the single best feature of all. :)

-------------------

BTW - the CuBox has a much better design in that all the (except for one) I/O ports are on the same side of the device. The one thing I really don't like about my Pi is that the cables come out of every side of the board. Something that makes mounting difficult in many instances and IMHO looks extremely kludgy. If I had to fault the Pi for anything, it would be for its board design -  although I'm sure they went with it because it kept the board smaller and the cost down.

Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits as opposed to this ----> Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits

ewemoa:
I found this comparison quite useful:

http://iqjar.com/jar/an-overview-and-comparison-of-todays-single-board-micro-computers/
-phitsc (February 06, 2014, 01:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this!

vrgrrl:
Great discussion! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version