ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Programmers: What size monitors do you guys prefer?

<< < (3/10) > >>

mouser:
Anyone use a rotated monitor in portrait mode for coding?

wraith808:
I've done it.  And quickly switched back.  I can get past a lack of vertical space... but horizontal space is what I crave.  Also, looking up and down is more annoying than looking right to left IMO.

ewemoa:
Similar experience to wraith808 here.  My current opinion is that a certain amount of vertical space is important but after a certain amount, horizontal space seems more important (e.g. for comparing two (or more!) documents, segments of code, etc. - sideways seems to work better for me).

On a side note...points I've learned to consider for external displays:

* how easy it is to adjust physical orientation
* how easy are the buttons to push
* how long is one forced to view unnecessary info (e.g. a company logo) when turning the display on
* how much heat do I feel from the display (less the better)

barney:
Had a rotating monitor for several years.  It was great for reading texts and tutorials in portrait mode, but lousy for coding unless I moved it back to landscape.  And since most video players are designed to be landscape, it didn't work for video, either, in portrait mode.

40hz:
Anyone use a rotated monitor in portrait mode for coding?
-mouser (February 04, 2014, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used a Radius Pivot monitor with a Mac IIsi for years until it finally gave up the ghost around 1999. I didn't use it for for coding. But I did use it for some serious animation and comic book scriptwriting projects. (Scriptwriting is very similar similar to coding when you think about it.)

I really liked it. I noticed I could focus better for some strange reason whenever I flipped it to portrait. But I also find enabling typewriter sounds helps me to concentrate. So take what I've said about the monitor for what it's worth considering it's coming from me. :mrgreen:
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version