topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: idea - open certian files in folder  (Read 6723 times)

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
idea - open certian files in folder
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:33 AM »
hello,

I would like to see a program that will open up and ask me which files to open(from a certain folder location), and how long to keep them open(seconds)

until it makes it through all of the files(20 at most).

I would like the program to use the default program for opening that file type.

Once the files are selected, and times are set, i would like it to loop until told to stop(ESC KEY)

would be nice if it was an .exe, but a certain keystroke would be fine also.

so...what do you think ?

I know, i'm not asking much right, lol

I can not find anything like this anywhere

thanks
Chris

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: idea - open certian files in folder
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Why do you want to only have the files open for x amount of seconds?

To close the default program would mean either:
a) sending it a WM_CLOSE message and hoping it respected it without putting up "Are you sure?" requesters, or,
b) killing the task, which is a rather dirty way of doing it and considering you want it to do it ad infinitum would probably lead to an unstable system.

What is the ultimate purpose, maybe we can suggest something else.

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, once the program has these different files ( word, excel & a monitoring software open then a minimize statement would work.

I am looking for something like the program autotab, but I need it to be teachable because the amount of files could easily change, and if that's the case I would want the program to have to be ran again, to relearn the new files and time.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10 AM »
You may be able to cobble something together from existing software.  For running a folder full of shortcuts you could use my DelayedCuts from this page:
http://milesaheadsoftware.tk/

It pops up a gui to drop shortcuts on.  It insists on shortcuts.  But to get a shortcut for an ordinary file such as .txt .doc .zip etc.  just right click Copy on the file and Paste Shortcut in the folder(or right mouse drag drop copy shortcut.)

Start DelayedCuts and drop all the shortcuts from the folder onto it.  It will offer delays 10 seconds apart.  You can just hit Enter to accept the default.  Once the ListView is full you can move the entries around and manually set the delay time(from launch of DelayedLoad program) or use the Buttons to space them 5 or 10 seconds apart.

When you hit Save Button it creates a shortcut for DelayedLoad in the user's StartUp Folder.  The idea was to space out the loading of programs at logon.  But you can just drag the shortcut from StartUp Folder to the Desktop and run it manually.

After everything is running then you may want to use AutoTab itself to cycle through them.

It's just an idea.  But it may give you something close enough to what you want to try out different delay times and/or refine your concept.

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:05 AM »
that seems like it would work, but not seamlessly enough.

I almost need a "i can't screw this up button" that once you hit it, it would then take care of the work, asking the questions and compiling the output.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Seems to me that something that opened selected files and then just sent Alt+Tab every x seconds is all that's needed.

The cycling of application windows means that for all intents and purposes, the computer is pretty much useless for normal input operations being reduced to a simple looping slideshow function.

Or a basic frontend to AutoTab, that allows you to:
1) choose files,
2) saves the list,
3) opens them,
4) then starts AutoTab.

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15 PM »
correct, the computers job is then to just display items.

but autotab, you can not control the time for individual screens, some need longer times.

thanks
Chris

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 10:46 PM »
but autotab, you can not control the time for individual screens, some need longer times.

Opening a set of files with their default program is easy, (you just tell the system to open the file), cycling between them is easy, (switch between visible windows), even having different times for each file isn't too hard - the problem I see is if you have multiple files of the same type.

eg. .xls - these will normally open as tabs within the Excel program, (IIRC).  So not only do you have to switch to Excel, you then have to find the correct tab and switch to it - and there's no guarantee that the method of switching to a particular tab is consistent across programs.

You may be able to force each default program to open each file in a new window, however this requires being able to pass a parameter to the program to tell it to do it, (possibly), and there's no guarantee that the same parameter will work for every default program.  To get around that, the easiest way would be to edit all the relevant filetypes so the default action is to open in a new window, (if the program allows multiple instances).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:52 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14 AM »
If we assume the PC is doing nothing much else then avoid the multiple tab issue by first getting the exe for each file using FindExecutable() API.  Then some prep work would need to be run to get the window class names for each.  Not all programs put the current file in the titlebar.  The prep would be something like:
read input filename
call FindExecutable()
run exe returned
Wait for non-fesktop window to become active
get the window class name
prompt for delay time showing input filename
store all the info

the second stage would be to run the saved exe programs in order with input file path as param using custom delay saved, once window has focus. They could be loaded minimized with no delay as alternative to avoid machine latency issues. If the same program comes up more than once in the list then a kill before the load would come into play.

Or some kind of wireless remote could be used like a clicker.  Like if you mispronounce some term you can say it correctly, then click etc..  More wiggle room.  (Assuming this is a live presentation scenario.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:27 AM by MilesAhead »

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:45 PM »
yes, now we are getting there.

so........lol

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:32 PM »
yes, now we are getting there.

so........lol

Do you have something to use as remote?  A wireless mouse might be good enough.  I'm supposed to be studying for PERT tests.  That's why I'm a bit reluctant to make a commitment.  The timing is uncertain until the school gets my transcripts.  Kind of like the Army only it's "wait and hurry up."  :)

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41 PM »
no, it would have to be a fully automatic thing, this will run unattended, and will display the information plant wide.

chris051873

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 03:52 PM »
hey all,
 i found someone to make a program with Java to include a GUI

therefore this is not needed(by me anyways)

thanks for all the brainstorming.

Chris