ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard Drive Brand Reliability Data

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jibz:
Even if their use is a special case to some extent, I think a failure rate of over 10% is bad.

40hz:
Even if their use is a special case to some extent, I think a failure rate of over 10% is bad.
-Jibz (January 22, 2014, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 :Thmbsup:

FWIW, my goto brands are: Hitachi for 2" and WD (non-green) for desktop or basic server.

For commerce/enterprise servers I tend to stick with whatever the OEM ships with it. Doing so minimizes tech support arguments and warranty claims issues when dealing with the manufacturer - even if OEM-branded disks can (although not always) cost significantly more.

Time is money in enterprise. And downtime is big money!) ;) 8)

apankrat:
--- End quote ---

True that. However it might be that other drives are also at 10%, but they just lucked out in BB's case :)

40hz:
--- End quote ---

True that. However it might be that other drives are also at 10%, but they just lucked out in BB's case :)
-apankrat (January 22, 2014, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Still...according to BB's blog, they've had 12,675 Seagates in service, so I think it's likely to be more a case of 'trend' than 'luck' with Seagate at this point.

FWIW, the two drive brands I've seen fail more than any other make were Seagate and Maxtor - which is now owned by Seagate. Seagates usually had catastrophic 'head seek' failures whereas the Maxtor's controller boards tended to smoke with no warning.

Vurbal:
FWIW, the two drive brands I've seen fail more than any other make were Seagate and Maxtor - which is now owned by Seagate. Seagates usually had catastrophic 'head seek' failures whereas the Maxtor's controller boards tended to smoke with no warning.
-40hz (January 22, 2014, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is all from several years past but that's basically my experience as well.

Going back to the days when Maxtor was a low performance off-brand I found them to be incredibly reliable. After they grew into a major player I remember going through 5 or 6 cases (48 drives per case) of 5400 RPM PATA drives with early (within a few weeks) failure rates ranging between 20% and 40% for each and every case. Actually I'm not sure any were as low as 20%. In every case it was the electronics that failed.

For certain periods I got similar results from WD's OEM units (but never their retail models) although the sample size was much smaller - only about 30 drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version