ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The nightmare of the programmer languages

<< < (4/14) > >>

anandcoral:
Hi Contro,

What is your actual requirement ?

You see my programer professional life started with dBASE II. It continued to dBASE III, IV, FoxBase, FoxPro, Clipper till DOS and now Xbase++ and FoxPro 9 in WIN environments.

All the above use DBF files as database and NTX or CDX etc. for indexing. And I was able to re-use my codes from one to another language with minor modifications and add new features as per the new language.

I use AutoIt and AutoHotkey to develop small tools to help me in my development profession, for example, "Merge CSV and Text" creates the complete new project prgs from base template for me.

To convert a dBASE code to AutoIt, say, is trival if the code inputs something and processes and prints. Reading text file is also not a problem. The real problem will start if your code uses DBF and NTX files heavily and searching, sorting etc. All these which can be easily done in dBASE (it is made for it) are a 'nightmare' to do in AutoIt.

With my experience in these languages, I can assure you no converter can do justice in converting code to different 'tangent' language, like dBASE to AutoIt.

We went for xBASE++ (it is a commercial product) as it supported most of our Clipper codes, and were able to come out with a Windows version of our DOS product quickly.

Regards,

Anand

Contro:
Hi Contro,

What is your actual requirement ?

You see my programer professional life started with dBASE II. It continued to dBASE III, IV, FoxBase, FoxPro, Clipper till DOS and now Xbase++ and FoxPro 9 in WIN environments.

All the above use DBF files as database and NTX or CDX etc. for indexing. And I was able to re-use my codes from one to another language with minor modifications and add new features as per the new language.

I use AutoIt and AutoHotkey to develop small tools to help me in my development profession, for example, "Merge CSV and Text" creates the complete new project prgs from base template for me.

To convert a dBASE code to AutoIt, say, is trival if the code inputs something and processes and prints. Reading text file is also not a problem. The real problem will start if your code uses DBF and NTX files heavily and searching, sorting etc. All these which can be easily done in dBASE (it is made for it) are a 'nightmare' to do in AutoIt.

With my experience in these languages, I can assure you no converter can do justice in converting code to different 'tangent' language, like dBASE to AutoIt.

We went for xBASE++ (it is a commercial product) as it supported most of our Clipper codes, and were able to come out with a Windows version of our DOS product quickly.

Regards,

Anand

-anandcoral (January 21, 2014, 01:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot Anand.

I will explain in detail why I was trapped in my past.
Best Regards

I assumed that don't exist such tool for converting autoit or autohotkey in dBASE command language.
And has not been enough motivated to convert autohotkey-autoit or simple isn't necessary or is irrelevant.

Contro:
I am looking this :

http://store.dbase.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DBCLASSIC

Seems exactly my dBASE 5.0 for DOS with a new concept.
 :-[

anand : I am not a programmer. I go well now with goldmine 5.5 (an ancient version of goldmine running in seven).

Contro:
I don't remember well the exhaustive list of problems i encounter with dBASE 5.0 for DOS  when tried to used under windows xp pro from w98SE
Even my version of Visual dBASE don't go well under xp entirely.
 :-*

Contro:

dBASE Classicâ„¢ brings the simplicity and power of dBASE V for DOS back to the world of development to run on the latest hardware and software.  Build hi-powered data-driven applications that use the xBASE language to its fullest.  Now run it on the latest operating system from Microsoft when used with dbDOS
Purchase now for only $99.00

Features

100% dBASE standard
    Complete solution for users and developers
    Event-handling and object models
    Developer's Desktop Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
    Unique Two-Way-Tools(tm)
    Form Designer with graphical controls
    Fully integrated 32-bit .EXE compiler

What is dbDOS ?

:-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version