ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The nightmare of the programmer languages

<< < (9/14) > >>

Contro:
I've no experience with code, but do have a bit of experience with trying to export/convert files from one format to another. You often end up with so much work that you wonder if it would have been better to recreate the file from scratch.

Surely with code, you will need to be able to code anyway, in order to correct all the minor things that dont convert well (?)
-tomos (January 20, 2014, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm with Tomos - I'm no coder, but I did used to do file/data conversion as a key part of my old job. One program wants to add extra header lines to stuff, so then if you dump it your line count is hopelessly ruined. Another program wants to fiddle with pagination so then Adobe's Acrobat X comparison tool bombs with false positives because the entire document is off by a paragraph, creating False Positives.

Yecch.

Or, to be funny, look at the "advertising" graphic on that site:
https://varycode.com/img/code_conversion_conveyor.png

The first two rows of a Rubik's Cube are a snap. "Anyone with twelve brain cells" (shout out to Ren!) can do the first two rows. It's the last row that's a killer. I'm no SpeedSolver, so the method I use is sloppy and slow, but it all boils down to two cubes at the very end. Wait for it ...

It takes a 36 move sequence to do it!

That's like (File) conversion: It looks good, yay this is a snap, ... until that last 20% chews up 80% of your time!

Code, to do actual stuff, has to be worse. Data is just data. Code has to actually Do Stuff. I will absolutely say I don't trust any program created solely by a "converter". I'm fine if a programmer wants to use tools, but code is for ... uh ... code-monkeys er, people!

-TaoPhoenix (January 21, 2014, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

the conversion idea comes to understand under my "dBASE eyes".
I don't have any need to translate to 7 while exists virtual machines able to run the program. And that is my problem now. Because the spanish version seems more incompatible than the english one.

I use at the present moment goldmine 5.5 under seven. But when i need to interact with office i do in the virtual machine with office xp.

The borland DBE seems to be the same the last version I adquired from Borland Visual dBASE 7 para windows 95 y windows NT.
But I remember some sort of problem under xp sp3 too.
So I don't know what to do because my program i really do from dbase III plus, dbase IV and finally dbase 5.0 para DOS, but almost don't use the visual dBASE 7

:-\

Contro:
I've no experience with code, but do have a bit of experience with trying to export/convert files from one format to another. You often end up with so much work that you wonder if it would have been better to recreate the file from scratch.

Surely with code, you will need to be able to code anyway, in order to correct all the minor things that dont convert well (?)
-tomos (January 20, 2014, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm with Tomos -

Or, to be funny, look at the "advertising" graphic on that site:
https://varycode.com/img/code_conversion_conveyor.png
-TaoPhoenix (January 21, 2014, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

>:(

:P

Contro:
The Borland Visual dBASE 7 for windows NT

I think i have a problem under windows xp pro impossible to solve.
And I don't understand like the english version of borland dbase 5.0 for dos es for windows xp too.
According to dbase.com this version don't have problems under xp, because really is the original version.

I don't remember, but Visual dBASE 7 for windows NT spanish version had a problem with xp. I think was related with the compiling possibilities.

Contro:
I install the trial of dbase plus 8 from dbase.com
Really it's very similar to Visual dBASE 7 from Borland, but uses SQL databases. Initially reads my shared data disk Y: for affecting the BDE that uses Goldmine 5.5 . I try this not happen and even obtain a security copy before and a snapshot in the virtual machine.
Finally seems go well. I will study. The price is similar to the program Ananda owns.

Contro:
In the virtual machine under windows xp pro my menu.exe obtain the error code page.

So i would like to know what can i do for launch a clone with another code page.
I don't remember now, but seems a problem with 850 and 437 code pages.

How can I change the code page in a clean windows xp pro sp3 installation ?

All under the same pc. Now the conditions of license have changed and only one windows 7-64 may be installed......

Terrible indeed.
 :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version