ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cobian Backup

<< < (6/6)

tomos:
Of course sometimes the program writes directly the configuration in the system registry. In those cases i take a command to remember me I must have a security copy of a branch or key in the windows registry. .....
-Contro (January 11, 2014, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

just curious:
how do you know if an install has changed the registry? Is there a software that does that? (I'm sure there is...)

Contro:
Of course sometimes the program writes directly the configuration in the system registry. In those cases i take a command to remember me I must have a security copy of a branch or key in the windows registry. .....
-Contro (January 11, 2014, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

just curious:
how do you know if an install has changed the registry? Is there a software that does that? (I'm sure there is...)
-tomos (January 11, 2014, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wonderful question.
I usually search in the registry the common registry keys for that program.
I try to observ during the installation if the program writes something in other place than desktop or the portable installation directory.
Then i post is not perfect portable.
Or even if need additional software like framework.

I have no memory, but I think i have an utility to detect changes in the registry

That's the point.
I think your observation is very interesting and i would like to know the answer.
So i will post anothec thread about this

Best Regards

Contro:
I use PA Backup every day and it's never let me down so I've no need to try any other back up program. Did install cobian on a friends computer once but I wasn't overly impressed (it looked horrible too in my opinion) and installed something else instead.
-Deping (February 02, 2014, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's cloud backup service, no ?
 :-[

Chris:
I have being using Cobian Backup  for a long while. It may be clunky but it does what I want
File and Folder backup
full, incremental and differential backups.
Plain file backup- no compression
Volume Snapshot Service VSS to backup open files

While still working, the program has been sold supposedly but no feedback, updates or support for a long while.

In case there are problems I am now looking for a replacement.

Any suggestions? Preferably free but would consider commerical if suitable.

Chris

tomos:
^ have you seen/tried FreeFileSync (mini-review link).

I havent used it in a while & dont remember if it will meet all your needs -

* does do 'versioning'
* I think it does plain file
* dont know about using VSS
Not sure if you mean something different by 'file and folder backup' - do you want to be able to back up just selected files as opposed to all the folder contents? (FreeFileSync cant do that AFAIK)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version