ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cobian Backup

<< < (2/6) > >>

paulobrabo:
I've used Cobian backup for many years, but I also feel it keeps using more and more resources.

I have tried many alternatives (there are thousands) but I'm settling with the simplicity of bvckup (fast, free):
http://www.bvckup.com

* Real-time, periodic or manual backups
Continuously monitor folders for changes and update their backup copies immediately after the originals are modified. Or run backups at fixed time intervals.
* Delta file copying
Reduce the amount of data being transferred by copying modified parts of the files only. This speeds up the backup, in many cases - dramatically.
* Precise file replication
Copy not only the file data, but also the attributes, timestamps, NTFS security and ownership information.
* Intelligent error handling
Rest assured that an issue with a specific file will not preclude the rest of the backup from completing. The program differentiates between file-specific and global errors and handles them differently.
Version 2, which won't be free but is currently in open beta, is even cooler and still tight:
http://www.bvckup2.com

Bvckup 2 is light, robust and simple to understand.
It is also incredibly fast.

Delta copying is a crown jewel of Bvckup 2. It detects and skips over unmodified parts of the files, cutting down processing time of larger files to a fraction.

If a backup goes to- or from- a removable storage device, Bvckup 2 will monitor for device removals and insertions and will run the backup only if the original device is present. It will also automatically adjust backup locations should the original device appear under a different drive letter.

Bvckup is not a two way sync. It doesn't compress, encrypt or FTP files. Nor does it come with a restore function. It does just one thing - it replicates the contents of one directory into another - and it does this exceptionally well.

All beta users are eligible for special upgrade pricing upon production release
--- End quote ---

I like when they make them lean and mean!  :Thmbsup:

Contro:
I've used Cobian backup for many years, but I also feel it keeps using more and more resources.

I have tried many alternatives (there are thousands) but I'm settling with the simplicity of bvckup (fast, free):
http://www.bvckup.com

* Real-time, periodic or manual backups
Continuously monitor folders for changes and update their backup copies immediately after the originals are modified. Or run backups at fixed time intervals.
* Delta file copying
Reduce the amount of data being transferred by copying modified parts of the files only. This speeds up the backup, in many cases - dramatically.
* Precise file replication
Copy not only the file data, but also the attributes, timestamps, NTFS security and ownership information.
* Intelligent error handling
Rest assured that an issue with a specific file will not preclude the rest of the backup from completing. The program differentiates between file-specific and global errors and handles them differently.
Version 2, which won't be free but is currently in open beta, is even cooler and still tight:
http://www.bvckup2.com

Bvckup 2 is light, robust and simple to understand.
It is also incredibly fast.

Delta copying is a crown jewel of Bvckup 2. It detects and skips over unmodified parts of the files, cutting down processing time of larger files to a fraction.

If a backup goes to- or from- a removable storage device, Bvckup 2 will monitor for device removals and insertions and will run the backup only if the original device is present. It will also automatically adjust backup locations should the original device appear under a different drive letter.

Bvckup is not a two way sync. It doesn't compress, encrypt or FTP files. Nor does it come with a restore function. It does just one thing - it replicates the contents of one directory into another - and it does this exceptionally well.

All beta users are eligible for special upgrade pricing upon production release
--- End quote ---

I like when they make them lean and mean!  :Thmbsup:
-paulobrabo (January 08, 2014, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't seems to be a free proyect. And the first version is a beta.....

paulobrabo:
And the first version is a beta.....
-Contro (January 08, 2014, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

An incredibly stable beta, which I've been using for many, many years.  :-*

But to each his own, I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits you among the many available. The problem with asking for a software recommendation is that everyone works differently, and not everything works for everyone. Most of the times you'll have to try many things and discover for yourself which one of them suits you best.

You could start here:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-backup-program
And here:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/more-free-backup-software-recommendations-reviews.htm

tomos:
Important to note the Bvckup does *not* do incremental backups - it will mirror your data - if you screw up the original and it gets backedup, the backup is screwed up too. Also does not compress backup IIUC.
I'm not complaining - just saying it might not be what people might expect.

Cobian doesnt do incremental backup either, does it? (Not clear from Curt's info post above.)

It was nice to meet Cobian from Sweeden Contro :D but you still havent explained exactly how you use Cobian - which would help us understand what exactly are you looking for.
"Backup" means different things to different people.

Service - OK, got that.
Next?

Contro:
Important to note the Bvckup does *not* do incremental backups - it will mirror your data - if you screw up the original and it gets backedup, the backup is screwed up too. Also does not compress backup IIUC.
I'm not complaining - just saying it might not be what people might expect.

Cobian doesnt do incremental backup either, does it? (Not clear from Curt's info post above.)

It was nice to meet Cobian from Sweeden Contro :D but you still havent explained exactly how you use Cobian - which would help us understand what exactly are you looking for.
"Backup" means different things to different people.

Service - OK, got that.
Next?

-tomos (January 08, 2014, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Cobian backup does incremental backups.

I am using with this program the backup concept in the sense of several copies of security of files and folders.
May be encrypted.
But are copies, not mirrors or other concepts

:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version