ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant.

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
I don't care for Evernote, I use it but very sparsely. But boy did I lose data using Simplenote (using both Resophnotes and Cintanotes) or what. Apparently you don't have to be the size of an elephant to be bug ridden.
-paulobrabo (January 08, 2014, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that was my point.  Thankfully, I use Dropbox with the combination, and so have been able to recover from those kinds of errors.  But they are/were definitely more serious than anything I've seen from Evernote.

Deozaan:
I use it quite extensively... on several different platforms.  And I've not experienced anything like what he says.  If it was so endemic, especially being a web application used quite extensively by the userbase that he quoted, wouldn't there be more of a record of said lapses?  More people rising up as their data was lost?

Inquiring minds wonder...?
-wraith808 (January 04, 2014, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

About a year ago (last February or March), I was visiting my parents in another state. We attended a church conference where my mother was asked by a friend who was hard of hearing if she could make a recording of the conference so it could be played back at a later date, presumably after being amplified or something similar. My mom put me in charge of running her friend's recorder. The conference began and I started recording. But I soon noticed a big problem. It seemed as though the digital recorder only had enough free storage to record the first few minutes. As the time ticked down, I had the brilliant idea to make a recording using Evernote on my phone. For about two hours I tried to make sure my phone was properly angled such that it would pick up the sound well, etc. For two hours I worried whether my phone's battery would last long enough to record until the very end.

Fortunately my battery did last long enough. The conference ended, I titled the note and saved the file, and we went home. When I got home the audio note was missing. What I figured happened was that because I didn't have data on my phone at the time (I was paying for it, but I was traveling out of state, so my phone was "roaming" while I was at the conference), it didn't upload the note to the server while I was gone. Then when I got back to my parents' home where I could connect to wifi, I figured the phone synced, but the wrong way. I figured that the local note on the phone was overwritten by the... er... lack of a note, online. That was the best logical explanation I could come up with at the time.

So yeah, I've experienced data loss with Evernote. I'm not sure if it's the same issue this guy mentioned in the article, but it put me off using Evernote, and I haven't really used it at all since, especially since Google Keep was released.

IainB:
...As the time ticked down, I had the brilliant idea to make a recording using Evernote on my phone....
-Deozaan (January 08, 2014, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a rather nifty idea - if it works, which it apparently didn't at the time.
Would it work now - that is, if the technology doesn't still frustrate it? (Would that give you a voice transcript?)
Would it/does it work on Google Keep? (Which provides voice transcripts doesn't it?)

TaoPhoenix:
I figured the phone synced, but the wrong way. I figured that the local note on the phone was overwritten by the... er... lack of a note, online. That was the best logical explanation I could come up with at the time.

So yeah, I've experienced data loss with Evernote. I'm not sure if it's the same issue this guy mentioned in the article, but it put me off using Evernote, and I haven't really used it at all since, especially since Google Keep was released.
-Deozaan (January 08, 2014, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think there's a hint of the larger downsides of "Cloud Sync" in general here. Coupled with for example the end of EditGrid, it seems like this Scylla & Charybdis.
(Wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_Scylla_and_Charybdis)

We keep seeing fanfare "Go to / collaborate / sync with the cloud!" ... and then the cloud begins to dry up...

So then you're back to Old School local copies, but without all the magic of the cloud when it does work.

The confusion between the two is maddening!

c.gingerich:
I use Evernote for work and personal. Have a business account. Never had any issues and use it on computer, android, iphone and ipad... works a treat!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version