ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Too many programs in my start menu!

<< < (3/3)

skwire:
Is there a trick to "compact" all that blank space so you can see them?-TaoPhoenix (January 03, 2014, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO, the trick is to use something like FARR.

app103:
Oh, you are using XP? You are in luck!

This will make it a nice compact, single column, scrolling menu that won't take over your entire screen:

* Right click your taskbar and select Properties.
* Click the Start Menu tab.
* Select the 2nd option, Classic Start Menu
* Click Customize.
* Under Advanced Start Menu options, check Scroll programs and Show Small Icons in Start Menu.
* Click OK.
* Click OK again.

wraith808:
A Start Menu Organizer would work also.

I know of two:
http://www.winstep.net/startmenuorganizer.asp

http://www.tidystartmenu.com/index.shtml

I've made use of Tidy Start Menu several times, and love it enough that I purchased it.  I use other WinStep programs (Nexus mostly now), so you couldn't go wrong with either IMO.

cyberdiva:
I want to second app103's suggestion of LaunchBar Commander. I love how easy it makes it for me to find and launch programs.  I have organized them into about a dozen categories, such as Photography, Search, Security, Video, Web Tools, etc.  I have included well over 100 programs, and I can find and open the one I want very quickly. 

Setting it up does take a bit of time, especially if you have a lot of programs that you want to include. I did it gradually, not all at once.  I can't imagine doing without it.  :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
Oh, you are using XP? You are in luck!

This will make it a nice compact, single column, scrolling menu that won't take over your entire screen:

* Right click your taskbar and select Properties.
* Click the Start Menu tab.
* Select the 2nd option, Classic Start Menu
* Click Customize.
* Under Advanced Start Menu options, check Scroll programs and Show Small Icons in Start Menu.
* Click OK.
* Click OK again.-app103 (January 04, 2014, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haha App!

That's very promising! Along with "Sort", to make stuff in a sensible order.

I have a bit of enthusiasm for this today, I'll go uninstall twelve-ish pieces of junk "Stuff I'm bored with" now too. (A lot of the deletions are legit programs, but for example I can remove FF-Aurora since I'm no longer interested in ultra fast updates, and so on.)

Tip of the week!

:up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version