ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

need freeware .vob to MP4 converter

<< < (5/6) > >>

4wd:
I'm a novice in this. I just tried Handbrake and it works quite well on single .VOB files, but I can't see how to get it to input 2 or more .VOB files and output a single .MP4 file containing both.-IainB (January 14, 2014, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Add the folder, not individual files.

If you use VidCoder, you can drop the folder of VOBs or the ISO on the interface, it will auto-select the longest title on the DVD, (you choose any others), for encoding.

EDIT: HandBrake will do the same, just drop the folder/ISO on the interface.

IainB:
Add the folder, not individual files.
-4wd (January 14, 2014, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm. By that's what I did. A folder with three .VOB files...HB scanned all 3 files, but would only output them individually as an .MP4. Perplexed, I tried but couldn't alter the settings to make it do any different.

4wd:
You didn't mention whether these VOBs are all from the same title set or not.

HandBrake/VidCoder will concatenate if they are all of the same set but not if they are of a different title within the DVD structure, AFAIK.

For that you will need to use another program, or you can try to copy the VOBs to another folder and renumber them so that they appear to be from the same title set and use that folder for the source.

That probably won't work if the there are aspect/resolution changes between the different VOBs.

bit:
I spoke too soon; 'Free PPTPVPN' and 'Free Canada VPN' both require rather detailed manual set-up.-bit (January 13, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um, it takes literally ~1 minute to set up a PPTP VPN, after that it's just three clicks to connect.

eg. Windows 8:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Windows 7 is similar, (the connection list opens above the network tray icon).

Addendum: Attached is a RAS phonebook containing entries for PPTPVPN:
a) Extract
b) Double-click PPTPVPN.pbk
c) Choose US or UK, then hit Connect
d) Enter User/Password, (from web page), then hit Connect.

To disconnect:
a) Double-click PPTPVPN.pbk
b) Choose the connection and hit Hangup.
-4wd (January 13, 2014, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tnx, I'll check this out.
One of the supreme virtues of TOR Vidalia is that once you set it up, it doesn't pull unexpected switcharoos from encrypted to unencrypted mode; in fact it bundles its own version of Firefox that -in a word- is tailor-made to be paranoid in the extreme by passionate security-conscious zealots.

Compared to that, the way some VPNs jump in and out of protected mode, with just a little bitty color-coded icon in your bottom tray to warn you, it's inviting accidental exposure that can take way too  long to become aware of before you realize your mistake.

That's about like the woman who always did base jumps with a shoulder-pull rip cord, and one day she tried a pack with a waist pull-cord instead, stepped off a cliff, reached for her shoulder cord, remembered it was on her waist, started to reach down instead, and hit the rocks.
True story; her b/f or husband co-base jumper was quite grieved by her death.

IOW, you take care of your habits, and don't switch around too much, and they will take care of you.

For .vob conversion, I hate to sound sloppy, but I just click on one file in the folder [an entire folder full of sub-files for one single vid], and it converts the entire folder bundle into a neat single mp4 file.
And cuts the size from 4GB to 1GB.

bit:
Okay, one video file can actually consist of 10 or more sub-files in .vob .ifo .bup .dat formats, and the entire video folder for the one video can be a total of up to 4.5GB, or about the size of a full DVD.
I've got about 30 videos I need to do this, but I think they can if necessary be deleted after each send to make room for the next.
Does anyone know of a good free file transfer service that can handle that?
BTW, these are rare out-of-circulation public domain videos that are not copyrighted, so there is no danger of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version