ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

need freeware .vob to MP4 converter

<< < (4/6) > >>

bit:
I'm giving the free version of Hotspot Shield a try.
Seems to work, starts automatically on boot and engages Firefox and Chrome.
Prompts me to register, but seems to work even without being registered.

For most needs, I think TOR may be free of backdoor tracking, whereas Hotspot may not.

edit-- Hotspot insists on auto-starting on boot, and I see no option in settings to reset it to only start manually, and this -I hate to say it- creeps me out.
I would venture to paraphrase the words of my programmer friend, that it is not 'polite'.
I also don't like it that it is based in the US, and therefore probably backdoored, unlike TOR Vidalia.
At this point, maybe I'm totally wrong, but I have to say I just don't like it.

4wd:
There's plenty of other free VPNs that don't need any software other than what comes with the OS, eg.

http://www.pptpvpn.org/
http://www.bestukvpn.com/
http://www.freecanadavpn.com/

Passwords change for them every few hours.  Unless you find a service that has a straight forward "we don't log anything" statement, then I would expect the minimum logging of them to be connection times/duration and originating IP.

But honestly, if you are that paranoid about uploading them, I'll do it  :)

bit:
^Gee, that's a way cool offer.
But I'd hate to impose on your generosity because it's a lot more data than I first mentioned.
There are two lecture sets, one is 12 vids and one is 14 vids, about 1.5 to 2 hours per lecture.
After conversion, each would probably be about 1GB, which takes 2 or 3 hours to convert to mp4, and only one's been converted yet.
Let me see what I can do first, please, and tnx very much.

edit-correction:
Hotspot Shield loads on boot, and sometimes it does not self-activate but waits to be manually started...
--and then again, the last time I booted, it self-activated, jumped online, and begged me to suggest it to 10 friends...
--after which, I got it to uninstall very cleanly leaving no noticeable tracks or left-over folders like so many other programs seem to do.

However, just prior to uninstall, I ran CCleaner, which ran about 1.5 minutes longer than usual to clean a bunch of extra temp files with a total of only 47MB (MB not GB).
So Hotspot was creating a ton of small temp files somewhere, which CCleaner took an unusually long time to hunt down and erase.
So Hotspot gets a 'qualified' approval for being so easy to install, and uninstalling so cleanly, but I really did not like it self-activating and popping online like that.

The 1st and 3rd of the other three VPNs mentioned above seem well worth checking out, so tnx very much.
I spoke too soon; 'Free PPTPVPN' and 'Free Canada VPN' both require rather detailed manual set-up.

Whereas Hotspot is practically one-click installation, and may be worth another try, if I can get it to settle down and stop self-activating and jumping online by itself like that.

4wd:
I spoke too soon; 'Free PPTPVPN' and 'Free Canada VPN' both require rather detailed manual set-up.-bit (January 13, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um, it takes literally ~1 minute to set up a PPTP VPN, after that it's just three clicks to connect.

eg. Windows 8:

need freeware .vob to MP4 converter

Windows 7 is similar, (the connection list opens above the network tray icon).

Addendum: Attached is a RAS phonebook containing entries for PPTPVPN:
a) Extract
b) Double-click PPTPVPN.pbk
c) Choose US or UK, then hit Connect
d) Enter User/Password, (from web page), then hit Connect.

To disconnect:
a) Double-click PPTPVPN.pbk
b) Choose the connection and hit Hangup.

IainB:
Handbrake
-eleman (January 03, 2014, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Generally excellent results (about 99% of the time) although HB tends to be slow compared to commercial rivals. :Thmbsup:
I'm also open to suggestions whether I should consider .mov or .avi format instead of mp4,
-bit (January 03, 2014, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO you're better off sticking to MP4 (or FLV in a pinch) unless your primary audience is Apple users.
-40hz (January 03, 2014, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a novice in this. I just tried Handbrake and it works quite well on single .VOB files, but I can't see how to get it to input 2 or more .VOB files and output a single .MP4 file containing both.
Have you got to concatenate the .VOB files first? (How the heck would you do that?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version