ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

need freeware .vob to MP4 converter

<< < (3/6) > >>

bit:
Okay, thank you everybody, let me see what I can figure out...

MilesAhead:
Okay, thank you everybody, let me see what I can figure out...
-bit (January 04, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's too bad they won't accept mkv.  If the videos are standard DVD then MakeMKV may mux them to .mkv container without any reencoding.  I haven't messed with it in a while.  But I think if you have standard DVD iso image files it will rip them to one .mkv file per title.  Might be worth a look:
http://makemkv.com/

To use the program for free you have to get the beta reg key from the forum site with each beta update.  I bought it a couple years ago. I don't know why it is still beta unless perhaps the author thinks he'll generate more traffic or buzz or whatever.  I rarely got a bad beta where I had to back it off to an older version.  The free key won't allow that.  But if the release is that bad the instability is usually fixed very quickly.

4wd:
IIRC, before he changed his post, he reported the conversion worked OK but he was having trouble uploading through the TOR network.

MakeMKV isn't going to fix that  :)

Better off using one of the free VPN services.

MilesAhead:
MakeMKV isn't going to fix that
--- End quote ---

True.  But remux only is faster than conversion. Esp. if you have SSD as source and destination. There's a nice little freeware MkvToMp4.  It converts the audio to compliant for .mp4 and just muxes the video with it.  It's portable.  I had the program as well as input and output folders on an SSD in a USB 3.0 dock.  Even though the USB 3.0 didn't max out the sequential read and write of the SSD, the random read and write was almost as fast as the sequential benchmarks.  Just drag and drop a bunch of input files and you could watch the progress bar slide over as the program ate through the list.  It was really fun doing those.  :)

Edit: but it's pointless to use that program unless the input mkv is HD(avc1 is it?  I forget.)  It won't work for mkv with mpeg video.

4wd:
Edit: but it's pointless to use that program unless the input mkv is HD(avc1 is it?  I forget.)  It won't work for mkv with mpeg video.-MilesAhead (January 09, 2014, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess that depends on what restrictions the PS3 has in the way of format compliance:

Uses existing tools to convert troublesome* mkv files to mp4. The conversion does not re-encode the video and only re-encodes the audio if it doesn't use AAC codec (one can override this behaviour using --audio-codec). The resulting mp4 will be playable on the troublesome* Sony PS3.
--- End quote ---

*Correction mine :)

With the MP4 container, the video is supposed to be MPEG4 compliant, Part 2 (SP/ASP) or Part 10 (AVC), whereas the audio can be AAC, MP3, ALAC, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version