ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

need freeware .vob to MP4 converter

(1/6) > >>

bit:
This is for uploading some approx 1 hour 45 minute Public Domain educational lectures to DailyMotion that are each currently about 4.3GB in size and .vob format, with each video actually consisting of multiple sub-files of audio and video.
DailyMotion says it accepts Format: mp4 (H264), mov, wmv, avi.
I tried to read up on mp4 (H264), didn't learn much, and ended up just focusing on 'plain vanilla' unadorned MP4 as a possible method.

I first tried converting to .wmv using freeware 'Prism Video File Converter', and before my pc finally locked up after a 5 or 6 hour run, it had increased the file size from 4.3GB to an unmanagable 6+GB, so I don't need .wmv format b/c it wouldn't be burnable to regular DVD disks.
When I tried 'Prism' again to go for a different format, it told me it was a 'paid feature', so I bugged out of that.

I also see DailyMotion has a nifty-looking beta Mass Uploader based on Adobe Air that allows pause and resume functions and 'offline' uploads; but its 'fine print' agreement had a lot of scary talk about giving 'third parties' various liberties and I wonder what's the general concensus about doing that?

I'm also open to suggestions whether I should consider .mov or .avi format instead of mp4, but would still need a good freeware bug-free program to do it. :)

eleman:
Handbrake

skwire:
I use, and like, VidCoder.

40hz:
Handbrake
-eleman (January 03, 2014, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 Generally excellent results (about 99% of the time) although HB tends to be slow compared to commercial rivals. :Thmbsup:

I'm also open to suggestions whether I should consider .mov or .avi format instead of mp4,
-bit (January 03, 2014, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO you're better off sticking to MP4 (or FLV in a pinch) unless your primary audience is Apple users.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

c.gingerich:
I like FormatFactory

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version