ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best note-taking setup with tablet and keyboard?

<< < (5/7) > >>

dr_andus:
Finally, while I don't use an Android editor with your requirements, and so can't give you any recommendations, here is a place to start looking.
-xtabber (January 04, 2014, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

xtabber -thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Actually capturing notes on the go is not a problem, as my iPod touch 4th gen. is highly portable and great for that. It is more for the home and for work when I don't want to turn on or wake a PC/laptop/netbook. My old iPad fit the bill, but I didn't have a good keyboard for it.

I'd be more interested in the forthcoming Nexus 10 (2) with a keyboard folio case (but it would probably work with the Nimblstand as well). Big screen is better both for writing and for reading and annotating PDFs, for instance. Good to see there are now some decent Markdown editors for Android too.

wraith808:
Finally, while I don't use an Android editor with your requirements, and so can't give you any recommendations, here is a place to start looking.
-xtabber (January 04, 2014, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

xtabber -thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Actually capturing notes on the go is not a problem, as my iPod touch 4th gen. is highly portable and great for that. It is more for the home and for work when I don't want to turn on or wake a PC/laptop/netbook. My old iPad fit the bill, but I didn't have a good keyboard for it.

I'd be more interested in the forthcoming Nexus 10 (2) with a keyboard folio case (but it would probably work with the Nimblstand as well). Big screen is better both for writing and for reading and annotating PDFs, for instance. Good to see there are now some decent Markdown editors for Android too.
-dr_andus (January 04, 2014, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 instead of an iPad Mini to hopefully start to get me out of the Apple infrastructure.  As a .NET developer, I can also directly develop for it, and it was cheap... $329 for 64GB and a full version of windows?  A no brainer I thought.

I'm starting to regret not going for the iPad mini.  From software to accessories, to ... just about everything.  Don't get me wrong... it's a great device.  And being able to program for it is great.  But I find myself picking up my iPad more than it... even in the cases that I bought the 8" tablet for.  It's more portable... so would be better to carry around.  But I still carry my iPad.  I tried only using it... but missed my iPad's ease of use.  And the apps.  That's the big thing.  Not the buy in of having them.  But the apps themselves and the paradigm of usage.

I positively hate iOS7 with a passion.  But at least it's internally consistent.  Most Windows tablet apps aren't really.  And programming for it, I see that MS left it more open than the Apple infrastructure.  And when I evaluated the Nexus and played with a friends applications and such, I could see the same disconnect.

Though I enjoy my Venue Pro, I think I'm getting an iPad Mini when i get a chance.  That same ecosystem that we as hackers and technologies skewer them for?  When you just need to get things done, and you're already used to it, it's hard to change to the wild west paradigm.

Oh... and what Markdown Editors do you use on the iPad?  Just wondering...

dr_andus:
Though I enjoy my Venue Pro, I think I'm getting an iPad Mini when i get a chance.  That same ecosystem that we as hackers and technologies skewer them for?  When you just need to get things done, and you're already used to it, it's hard to change to the wild west paradigm.

Oh... and what Markdown Editors do you use on the iPad?  Just wondering...
-wraith808 (January 04, 2014, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've read quite a few reviews by now (and there is one iPad Mini 2 in my household), and my impression is that there is such a small difference in terms of weight and everything else, that if you want to use it for more serious work it's better to go for the iPad Air (larger screen, basically).

As for Markdown editors on iOS, I haven't been able to try the most celebrated ones (Editorial, Byword) because they don't work on iOS 5 that I have. When it comes to iOS note-taking and writing apps, Markdown rendering doesn't matter to me all that much because as long as I can write in plain text, I can write in Markdown, and then I can transfer it via Dropbox to my PC and use my tools there to process the Markdown.

My favourite plain text note-taker used to be Nebulous Notes because it gave me the most control over syncing via Dropbox, so I could decide what is online, what is local, and what needs to be overwritten and when. Unfortunately lately it became too slow on iPad 1. It also has good macros for the on-screen keyboard.

If I need to write something longer, I'd use iA Writer, which has beautiful font and a clean full-screen view (but poor syncing options). For very short notes, I would use WorkFlowy (which unfortunately just today 'upgraded' itself to view-only in iOS 5, which sucks).

I also tried a bunch of other editors/writing apps (Daedalus, Texts, PlainText, Notebooks), but I thought iA Writer and Nebulous Notes were better. BTW, all of these can do Markdown rendering, except WorkFlowy (which is more of an outliner, to-do manager).

dr_andus:
I don't see any vents on the CB either.  with its SSD, you probably don't need them.  I certainly haven't heard any fans either.   :)

the worst part about my Chromebook is the fact it is a loaner.  st some point I will have to return it ... and then get my own.  But I am wanting one with a larger screen.   :Thmbsup:
-techidave (January 03, 2014, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Although I set out looking for a tablet + keyboard + app combination, I'm starting to lean towards the Chromebook idea. The new HP Chromebook 14 seems interesting. Bigger screen, bigger keyboard, more memory, faster processor (than the Samsung 303), and people are reporting 9+ hr battery life. There is a fan to cool the processor, but supposedly it's not too loud. Plus there is 2 yrs free (though limited) mobile internet access with one of the models.

The key benefits are the speed, half the price of the iPad Air + ZAGGKeys keyboard combo, instant on from sleep, battery life, integrated keyboard, not as heavy as a netbook/laptop.

Edit: here is an informative discussion of the pros and cons of the HP Chromebook 14.

xtabber:
Although I set out looking for a tablet + keyboard + app combination, I'm starting to lean towards the Chromebook idea. The new HP Chromebook 14 seems interesting. Bigger screen, bigger keyboard, more memory, faster processor (than the Samsung 303), and people are reporting 9+ hr battery life. There is a fan to cool the processor, but supposedly it's not too loud. Plus there is 2 yrs free (though limited) mobile internet access with one of the models.

The key benefits are the speed, half the price of the iPad Air + ZAGGKeys keyboard combo, instant on from sleep, battery life, integrated keyboard, not as heavy as a netbook/laptop.
-dr_andus (January 08, 2014, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Check the specs: The HP Chromebook 14 weighs over 4 lbs, nearly twice the weight of the Asus T100, which is a full Windows 8.1 device and includes a full version of MS Office 2013 in the $349 price of the 32GB version.  The HP has a bigger screen, but the same measly 1366x768 resolution, meaning that it is considerably less sharp visually. By comparison, the Nexus 7 has 1980x1200, the Nexus 10 has 2560x1600 resolution. The T100 also has better battery life (over 11 hours, supposedly).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version