ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Code Sector software 50% off through January 7, 2014

<< < (3/3)

superboyac:
been eyeing Direct Folders for some time-lanux128 (January 02, 2014, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Rather than Listary?
-rjbull (January 05, 2014, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have both but I end up using Direct Folders a lot more often for some reason.
-dr_andus (January 05, 2014, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I actually use both.  I use Listary for most everything, but I also enable the Direct Folders floating top bar.

lanux128:
Listary's FAYT feature causes problems on my pc. If there is an option to turn it off, then I may give it a try again.-lanux128 (January 06, 2014, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
I e-mailed Channing Dai, the author.  Here's his reply:
This is not a usual request, however it can be done in Listary Options - By
Window Type: Select the application, and then uncheck "Find as you type".

--- End quote ---
-rjbull (January 07, 2014, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks rjbull for the effort! it is not the global disable button i was looking for but it is better than nothing. now i can run both apps side-by-side as they complement each other.

peter.s:
"This is not a usual request, however it can be done in Listary Options - By
Window Type: Select the application, and then uncheck "Find as you type"."

Channing even replied to some real dumb questions of mine (in fact, the forum is for users asking and for Channing to reply, in reality, no real "community" there) so I have to be thankful for that, but he will not answer questions addressing real problems with the sw - perhaps it's a question of pride or such, and he addresses those problems secretely, then - at least I hope so.

In my case, it was not possible to have his program NOT to interfere with anything I did, and do, so I had to deinstall it in order to regain control over my system. I should have tried the free version first, instead of buying. In fact, this programs intervenes in many more applications than it says it does, and this means that just deselecting programs from the Listary list will NOT do any good for programs that ain't even listed there to begin with.

It's been a quite terrible experience, all the more so since you cannot stop it from displaying lots of unwanted entries from "anywhere" even in programs where you'd just want it to display "hits" from the "immediate vicinity" (e.g. the current folder), and thus it creates "chaos lists", instead of just presenting just the hits you're looking for, and things are neither arranged by this awful, very intrusive red color nor by the fact that additional window overlays exactly the relevant file commander pane, hiding the entries there, instead of appearing elsewhere (e.g. on the opposite pane of a two-pane file manager).

Overall, it's totally functional, but those functions are intruding when you don't need them, and the visuals might be considered "very cute" by a 10-year-old girl.

I spiced up my file commanders with ahk scriptlets instead, and for "global search" I (rarely) use "Search Everything" (which is free and just appears whenever I really need it, not in 10 hours of my 12-14 hours work day).

Channing, if you read this, it's okay you're really proud of your tool, but make it a little bit more discrete, both by its function and by its visuals, nobody wants a green (or in this case, red) alien popping up and sitting on his desk almost all the time when trying to do serious work.

rjbull:
this programs intervenes in many more applications than it says it does, and this means that just deselecting programs from the Listary list will NOT do any good for programs that ain't even listed there to begin with.-peter.s (January 14, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmm.  I don't think I've had any problems like that.

want it to display "hits" from the "immediate vicinity" (e.g. the current folder), and thus it creates "chaos lists", instead of just presenting just the hits you're looking for-peter.s (January 14, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think that was one of the points about Listary 4 series, that it uses or can use an Everything-type search engine to find files matching your search string anywhere on your PC.  I'd like the per-application option to restrict searches to the local area, but, as it is now, it does put local hits at the top.

this awful, very intrusive red color-peter.s (January 14, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd certainly like the option to change the colour  :)  And also the font size; it's a bit big.  In some ways I preferred the look-and-feel of Listary 3 series.

I spiced up my file commanders with ahk scriptlets instead-peter.s (January 14, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
If your FM is Total Commander, there's a plug-in that uses Locate32.  However, Locate has rather taken a back seat since the advent of Everything.  Also, if you just want a favourites list, you might take a look at (free) FileBox eXtender.

Looks like this is in danger of hijacking the thread...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version