ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2014

NANY 2014 Release: Process Piglet

<< < (5/13) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Well I had thought that PaleMoon/Firefox "had solved the memory leaks". Apparently according to piglet, not exactly.

Can someone explain what the browser is *doing* with all that space? You can go to some random webpage (not even a video) and all of a sudden it spikes!

skwire:
Beautiful little app, mouser.  I really like programs like this.  One app, one purpose.

wraith808:
Well I had thought that PaleMoon/Firefox "had solved the memory leaks". Apparently according to piglet, not exactly.

Can someone explain what the browser is *doing* with all that space? You can go to some random webpage (not even a video) and all of a sudden it spikes!

-TaoPhoenix (January 03, 2014, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I will say that I do have a question in regards to PP...

If you look at memory like a series of cells
(with U= in use, and F = free)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And then load a program

UUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Then the program has to do something, i.e. load a tab, that will spike usage for a brief time

UUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And then gives that memory back... though its not contiguous

UUUFFFFFUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And then does this a few times without compacting, because nothing else needs the memory currently...

UUUFFFFFUUUUUFFFUUFFFUUFFFFFFFFFF

What would PP show in that case?  Because that's a lot of the way that memory management in a garbage collected world works.  Working Set is the current size, in bytes, of the Working Set of this process. The Working Set is the set of memory pages touched recently by the threads in the process. If free memory in the computer is above a threshold, pages are left in the Working Set of a process even if they are not in use.  When free memory falls below a threshold, pages are trimmed from Working Sets. If they are needed they will then be soft-faulted back into the Working Set before leaving main memory.

Is the memory being reported the WS Private or the WS Sharable?

A good explanation that goes into it better than I can: http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-windows-memory-usage-explained/

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm. "...And then does this a few times without compacting."

Maybe. But then I'd wish the browsers would do their own compacting and go "back down" to a sensible size. I guess it's a vestige bit of being a luddite where I just hate to see "huge" memory usages for viewing what should be a "simple" web page. Maybe the Plugins get involved too.

Update:
I still don't like seeing 416 megs used, but I have spotted a "process Palemoon.exe has gracefully lowered its memory use" message!

TaoPhoenix:
I eventually turned it off now that I know how silly programs can get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version