ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

WizNote (a PIM from China) - Mini-Review + Provisional User Forum

<< < (5/11) > >>

IainB:
thanks for those screenshots ianb!  that helps convince me even more how great this program is.  i had my doubts for a while.
-superboyac (February 21, 2014, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I am very pleased if they were of help/use. I would suggest that one of the best ways of establishing whether the program itself is of real use would be to find out first-hand, taking the engineer's systematic "suck-it-and-see" approach.
I learned the value of this approach years ago when testing out combinations of different jets (comprising jets/valves/aerators) in a Weber 40DCOE that had been bolted onto the inlet manifold of a 3.5L V8 Oldsmobile/Buick engine in a sports car. The object of the exercise was to establish what combination of jets would lead to optimum fuel consumption across the range of driving conditions in city, motorway and urban driving circuits without sacrificing power (response and acceleration). I read two books written by the engineer who had designed this particular carburettor, one book was mostly theory, and one was mostly guidelines on practical application. This was where I first met the phrase used by the designer who recommended that the reader take a systematic "'suck-it-and-see" approach. It is a concept that seems to transfer very well for application in the domain of software testing/evaluation.

Whilst I will usually always have some basic standard criteria for the evaluation of software, I am well aware that one cannot think of everything and that taking a systematic "suck-it-and-see" approach opens up the opportunity for inadvertent discovery of some potentially new/useful feature of the thing being evaluated.
This particularly seems to be the case with WizNote, where one of the greatest constraints appears to be the lack of comprehensive English documentation.

Thus, if you were to (say) start trialling the software yourself in a similar manner and documenting your knowledge in this discussion thread, then maybe we could create some more synergy. I am unable to commit to more than intermittent bits of time to test the thing, so your input could be really helpful.
You can take get synergy in a forum like DCF. @urlwolf's appraisal and lists of features, for example, was what started the ball rolling and gave me the impetus to kick off this mini-review.

urlwolf:
@ianb, thanks for taking the time to write about wiznote.
The more EN-speaking people who do, the higher the chance that their creators consider paying a translator and addressing the EN-speaker market. It's tragic that I don't even know how to turn on the spell checker, I'm pretty sure it has one.

If someone at DC who speaks Chinese could write a post on their forums explaining that they have a huge untapped market over on the other side of 'the wall', it might help. This is a company, they should like to make money :)

urlwolf:
@ianb: markdown is a formatting language, similar to the one you use to craft posts here. I would imagine you can flip a switch somewhere in wiznote and write notes in markdown, but I have no idea where to look.

urlwolf:
When I create a new note with ctrl + alt + N, the new note fonts are tiny. Why? Anyone knows how to change that?

urlwolf:
FWIW, I solved it.
Ctrl + scroll resizes fonts on the main window, but not on the floating windows.
But you can click on the dented wheel (options) on the toolbar, then choose a default font.
That did it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version