ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

WizNote (a PIM from China) - Mini-Review + Provisional User Forum

<< < (10/11) > >>

superboyac:
@science2002: Sorry, I can't help you as I'm not currently using WizNote - haven't used it in a long time - though I am still keeping an eye on its development.

@superboyac: Have you been stuck in a timewarp, or something?
-IainB (October 12, 2018, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
haha!  yea.  My life has taken some drastic turns the last 5 years.  I hope it's for the best, and it's not something I look forward to repeating. 

Perhaps you might understand...it's somewhat difficult acknowledging this obsession with software, analysis, information.  I love it, it's not a bad thing, but it is a bit alienating.

IainB:
@science2002:
Just for curiosity, as a notetaker, are you now using OneNote or what? If so, will you stay with ON even when (from v.2019) it will save only to the cloud?
-science2002 (October 12, 2018, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I shall probably stick with OneNote 2016 for the meantime, but am experimenting with a possible migration strategy --> IQ (InfoQube). Trouble is, ON is just so good at coping with the various data types that I use. Hard to beat.

@superboyac:
... My life has taken some drastic turns the last 5 years.  I hope it's for the best, and it's not something I look forward to repeating. ...
-superboyac (October 12, 2018, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I guess I know what that might feel like:
Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.
 - Readers Digest, January 1957.

--- End quote ---
Hang in there mate.

sphere:
Anyone still using WizNotes?

Just noticed there have been some developments with WizNote and figured I would make some notes here. 

They have a Dockerized their package  which (for some, like myself) will make it easier to run.  Apparently you can download the docker file, after providing an email address.

The docker page is here

http://www.wiz.cn/docker

There is also an online demo I do not remember being there for anyone who wants to get a feel for it without installing. A number of functions are not enabled without being logged in it seems.

It also looks like there might be some sort of email to save url  function

Url2Wiz Service
You could save a webpage via Url2Wiz service without installing any application. Generally, it is for automation service such as ifttt.com or Shortcut on iOS. It is capable of adding a bookmark for saving any webpage.
How to get your Mywiz Mail
Sign in WizNote, and you could get your Mywiz Mail in Account Settings (Click your portrait). About how to receive mail via Mywiz Mail to save the content, please click here to learn more.
--- End quote ---

http://www.wiz.cn/url2wiz.html

Most recent posts on their blog are in English, but there are some questionable posts there as well. Blog:
http://www.wiz.cn/page/1

I have to say, it has a nice user interface.  I am still quite reluctant,  wondering if there are back doors etc etc.  It seems like Nextcloud is a place to watch as well. Joplin etc.  In my search I did come across another open source note taking app, also out of China ( I believe) that was being comparied to wiznote called Leanote. It also has a desktop, mobile apps. 
Leanote
github

Looks like work has not been very active, but the code is up there.

IainB:
@sphere: Thanks for the update. I had largely lost interest in WizNote as they seem to have gone to a subscription basis or something for using their Cloud, and I don't trust the confused chopping and changing that's been going on.
I shall follow up on the LeanNote link. Thanks. Looks interesting.
EDIT: I checked out LeanNote. Seems to be just another Cloud subscription-based app.
Not an ergonomically intuitive or easy-to-use GUI either, No thanks.

superboyac:
I shall probably stick with OneNote 2016 for the meantime, but am experimenting with a possible migration strategy --> IQ (InfoQube). Trouble is, ON is just so good at coping with the various data types that I use. Hard to beat.
-IainB (October 12, 2018, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Whoa totally forgot about IQ.  I should give it a shot.  But yes, it's more of a database type notetaker than the free form aspect of onenote or even traditional hierarchical notetakers.  I like IQ a lot, but for very specific use cases.

I am also sticking to Onenote 2016 for now, but this latest development got me worried.  And now I am thinking of returning to Rightnote at some point, but not yet.
Onenote was often considered the one application that Microsoft really "got right".  and until the latest change, i think that was the case.  But now, not anymore.
Speaking of dealing with different types of data...specifically, what makes Onenote unique is the free form whiteboard area (vs everyone else's linear text editor area).  All Rightnote would have to do is add the option to have that main note area to be able to place notes anywhere in 2D, like Onenote, and i think it would be well on its way to being the king of the hill. 

back to Wiznote...
Yea I'm not very interested.  I gave it a shot when it first came out here, and then they suddenly went all paid version.  I didnt like that, I stopped using it.  No real benefit over other programs.  But IIRC, it was good at importing and exporting content, which is more than I can say for most of these kinds of programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version