ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... reasonable backup software

<< < (2/6) > >>

Curt:
My Win 7 is unable to backup at all. A handful of years ago I deleted the wrong file, or something, end ever since Windows has refused to create a backup. But for the following reason, I don't care!:

I backup every document 1:1 twice, to two external USB drives. USB drives are so cheap, I see no reason to compress data. I believe compression is merely yet another weak point, and backup space is so cheap, you will almost have to be cheap yourself, not to use 1:1, even twice!

I don't care too much if the operating system is backed, it can easily be re-installed (and repaired at the same time!). But this is probably because I already have purchased a Win 8 disc.

In my opinion it is not too important what software you are using, but what the risks are.

TaoPhoenix:
There's gonna be a whole flood this year of this... but "back forward".

For ex I am basically happy on Win XP (with minor needling of Skwire!), but if MS is about to quit even issuing security updates for it, one of these years I need to move to Win 7.

So then you get the huge issue of "what do you backup" - you can't precisely back up installed programs into an upgrade.

Now I DO have a lot of cruft on my comp and a fresh install may not be all that bad ... if competently done!

So elsewhere I went to that Backup2 program (with the funny spelling!) and copied over my "basic data". So that will get me close and I really only use 20 of the 100 installed practice programs on my comp...

A long time ago I used to use a double config called "Screen" and "Project" - this machine has taken a pounding, but it's not unheard of to go Dual Image and let the C Drive get pulverized with test pipe dreams and D Drive only gets the "real stuff".

MilesAhead:
It does seem like this problem should have been solved a long time ago.  I don't know enough about mini-computers to know if business has an easier time of it.  The most novel approach recommended to me was by a system builder on another forum.  He's a docking station enthusiast.  He does your basic backup imaging(I think he uses Macrium.)  But periodically he puts an internal drrive that is identical make/model/size to the system drive in his PC, in a docking station and restores the image of his working system to that drive.  He stores the drive away.  Now if he has a drive failure he opens the box, replaces the HD, and boots to a working system.

Of course if there's nothing wrong with the boot drive physically, then he just does an image restore from the drive in the dock, booting the Macrium rescue disk from USB or whatever.

For myself I wish there was an easier way to slipstream the OS and applications you know for sure you will install, esp. if they have a copy protection.  So you would boot a DVD and install the OS along with your basic slew of applications, in one shot.  This would be an alternative to putting things back the way they were using an image.  Like if you wanted to get back to an uncluttered system or something.

But if someone maintains mini-computers I'm curious what they do. My older brother used to work at DEC and I know they did tape backups every day.  In fact one of his jobs was to go on customer sites and calibrate their tape drives.  But I didn't really get all the details.

Stoic Joker:
Assuming you're using Win7 the Shadow Copy Services/Previous versions option has served me well in the past.

I've also moved a Domain Controller to a different hardware configuration using the built-in Windows backup software. Overall I think the biggest failure point with any restore operation is in not taking the time to firmly and completely understand the ramifications of what is going to be overwritten during the restore.

The built-in Windows system restore software leaves the user data areas of the drive untouched. Most 3rd party backup solutions OTOH...do not.

I've had many clients call asking what the recovery options were for their files after doing an OEM factory (image...) restore. My typical response is to tell them save your money, and kiss your files good bye. Because outside of a ($$$$) professional service the chances of recovering anything are totally shit.

IainB:
FreeFileSync is an excellent backup tool: FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review.

AOMEI Backupper might be as good/better (backup functionality not yet fully tested) AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version