ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... reasonable backup software

<< < (5/6) > >>

barney:
Note:[/b] "PCMCIA" also apparently stands for "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms").
-IainB (January 03, 2014, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
And "USB"?  ;)

-cranioscopical (January 03, 2014, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but as liberal as DC is  :-\, that language cannot be used here  :P.

cranioscopical:
-barney (January 04, 2014, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, I'll back up a bit.

IainB:
Note:[/b] "PCMCIA" also apparently stands for "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms").
-IainB (January 03, 2014, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
And "USB"?  ;)
-cranioscopical (January 03, 2014, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry, but you've lost me there.

Shades:
-barney (January 04, 2014, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, I'll back up a bit.
-cranioscopical (January 04, 2014, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, copy that...

myarmor:
We know that several people get a bad restore from an image.

An user said an interesting thing: the image must be created from a not running OS, I mean from outside, from a backup program functioning in an USB key.
May that advice be the way to create a safe/safer image?
-Giampy (December 31, 2013, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well it might, but it shouldn't be needed.

I use StorageCraft's ShadowProtect Desktop 5 (not free), and I've never really had any issues with it. It is a bit expensive initially (but includes 1 year mainteance).

Their backup solutions is mostly targeted as businesses and such so they focus on doing what they're supposed to, and doing it well, instead of adding lots of bells and whistles.

It can quickly image just about any drive/partition, supports differentials and incrementals, can program times and whatnot.
For a full drive/partition (that is in use) restore you have to boot a CD/DVD/whatever (most recent version uses a Linux iso, or you can build a WinPE iso).
It restores a drive/partition very quickly. It can do bare-metal restores.

You can also mount the image as a drive while in windows, so its easy access for extracting files from it.
One thing I haven't tried, but which it also says it can, is booting an image as a VM.

Btw, I'm not affiliated with the product, I'm just a satisfied customer and has been for 4+ years.

Edit: I just noticed, it apparently got PC Magazine's Editors Choice for the third time sept 2013.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version