ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what can replace mp3info / mp3ext?

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
with apologies for veering off-topic:

I am not English, but even I can see, this is wrong:

dBpoweramp integrates it's self with Windows Explorer
--- End quote ---
-Curt (December 21, 2013, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

that's actually an interesting one:
it's not grammatically incorrect - but it's more like saying:

dBpoweramp integrates it's true self with Windows Explorer
or
dBpoweramp integrates it's "consciousness of it's own being or identity" with Windows Explorer
or
dBpoweramp integrates it's "total, essential, or particular being" with Windows Explorer

definitions (in quotation marks) are from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/self

Innuendo:
I am not English, but even I can see, this is wrong:

dBpoweramp integrates it's self with Windows Explorer
--- End quote ---
-Curt (December 21, 2013, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt, you freaked me out for a second. At first glance I thought you were quoting me and I was thinking "I don't remember typing that!"

What I really wanted to complaint about is the absence of the promised "Popup info tips"
--- End quote ---

Not only do you have to turn on "Popup info tips" but you also have to hit the [Advanced] button and go in to turn on what attributes you need to show.

Just tried it with my copy of 14.4 Reference in an Explorer window running on Windows 8.1 x64. It works. :)

Innuendo:
it's not grammatically incorrect - but it's more like saying:-tomos (December 21, 2013, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, Curt is correct. "it's" is the contraction of "it is" while "its" is the possessive form of "it". Given that....

dBpoweramp integrates it's true self with Windows Explorer
or
dBpoweramp integrates it's "consciousness of it's own being or identity" with Windows Explorer
or
dBpoweramp integrates it's "total, essential, or particular being" with Windows Explorer
--- End quote ---

translate to...

"dBpoweramp integrates it is true self with Windows Explorer
and
"dBpoweramp integrates it is "consciousness of its own being or identity" with Windows Explorer
and
"dBpoweramp integrates it is "total, essential, or particular being" with Windows Explorer

...and those statements just do not make sense. If the web site had said "its self" I'd be inclined to agree with you that it was just awkward wording. The apostrophe, however, makes it incorrect.

tomos:
^thanks Innuendo, I missed the point there completely.
I was thinking along the lines of dBpoweramp becoming almost a sentient being (which I quite enjoyed).

It's strange how it works with 'it' :-\
With names, the apostrophe is used for possessive, but not with 'it'. I'm sure I've heard that before (on dc even, I think) but it's the kind of thing I promptly forget...

Innuendo:
The English language is a mess. With so many rules and exceptions I'd hate to try to learn it as a second language. It doesn't help also that it is human nature to look at something and sometimes see what we expect to see instead of what's really there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version