ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... assistance with a tenacious BHO ...

<< < (4/4)

Innuendo:
RE security - removing Java makes PC a lot more secure - but not everyone can do that (I've missed it once or twice in six months since I uninstalled, but it wasnt anything important).-tomos (January 06, 2014, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can eliminate nearly all of the attack vectors that affect Java by just disabling Java in the web browsers you use. You can then use it for desktop applications while nothing 'evil' from the net can slip in through a Java vulnerability.

tomos:
RE security - removing Java makes PC a lot more secure - but not everyone can do that (I've missed it once or twice in six months since I uninstalled, but it wasnt anything important).-tomos (January 06, 2014, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can eliminate nearly all of the attack vectors that affect Java by just disabling Java in the web browsers you use. You can then use it for desktop applications while nothing 'evil' from the net can slip in through a Java vulnerability.
-Innuendo (January 07, 2014, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

good to know, thanks Innuendo :up:

kilele:
kaspersky rescue disk saved me a few times, I have a cd to reboot the pc with this software to check the system regularly

Innuendo:
Gone are the days when you could just run an AV scan once a month and you'd be good. The savvy internet user uses a multi-layer defense to protect their computer.

Of course, there are some people who'll click the 'Yes/OK' button on any darn dialog box that pops up on their screen. There's no helping those people. :)

TaoPhoenix:
-Innuendo (January 07, 2014, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

good to know, thanks Innuendo :up:
-tomos (January 08, 2014, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just find a way to remember you did this. For all of these security reasons, I did this once last year. Then months later, some random website mysteriously wasn't working. Came to find out, it had a Java component call. But that didn't exactly throw a specific error. All we saw was "website cannot log in."

That's basically why I like a lot of low tech tricks. I used to keep trying about every two years to install NoScript. But I like to roam the web rather far and wide, and I just got more upset than benefit out of every single site not behaving right. Instead, I have a simple 1-click toggle that nukes all Javascript upon a re-load of a page. So I click that, then I load the *next* page (sometimes on the same site domain!), where I *want* the Javascript on, and toggle it back on. So sure, a few things slip by.

In contrast, Adblock seems to have a much better middle ground of nuking the worst ads, and leaving a lot of everything else alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version