ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Downloading videos from Youtube

(1/4) > >>

Giampy:
Hail!
I'd like to know why the programs to download videos from Youtube can download videos having a resolution higher than the maximum one that Youtube shows.

As a simple example, in Youtube we may choose a maximum resolution of 360p but a download program can download even the video of 480p.

tomos:
DownloadHelper - addon for Firefox was recommended here.
I have it but use it so seldom I couldnt say much about it. The choice can be confusing at times, but it's usually easy enough to figure out the best option.

Downloading videos from Youtube

AFAIK WYSIWYG = if a high quality video is there on YouTube, you'll see it on the video itself.
I've never heard of "videos having a resolution higher than the maximum one that Youtube shows"

Giampy:
I've never heard of "videos having a resolution higher than the maximum one that Youtube shows"
-tomos (December 12, 2013, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It happened to me more than once.
For example, on September, YoutubedownloaderHD and YTD downloaded two videos 360p while Youtube showed 240p as the maximum.
Yesterday it happened again with another video.

tomos:
-tomos (December 12, 2013, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It happened to me more than once.
For example, on September, YoutubedownloaderHD and YTD downloaded two videos 360p while Youtube showed 240p as the maximum.
Yesterday it happened again with another video.
-Giampy (December 12, 2013, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting - haven't seen it myself. I have seen some of the options greyed out - I dont know if this is because YT is overloaded and blocks the higher quality versions - or if it decides that your connection isnt good enough to handle them.

Apologies - I see now that your OP question was why this is the case.
I'd like to know why the programs to download videos from Youtube can download videos having a resolution higher than the maximum one that Youtube shows.

As a simple example, in Youtube we may choose a maximum resolution of 360p but a download program can download even the video of 480p.
-Giampy (December 12, 2013, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Giampy:
I have seen some of the options greyed out - I dont know if this is because YT is overloaded and blocks the higher quality versions - or if it decides that your connection isnt good enough to handle them.-tomos (December 12, 2013, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is not my case. I have always seen that the maximum resolution in Youtube is always available and clickable. Nobody must think that my original question depends on grey items in Youtube.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version